Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

adoption question....if poss

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Anis

Anis Report 20 Jun 2007 21:27

Right.....here's one that I've just thought of. I can't find my birth registration This may be normal as I am adopted, or i don't know where to look maybe. I was having a laugh about the funny goings ons in my mums family back in the 18th century and just wondered......100 years down the line for example.....if my decendants were doing their family tree...... how would they find me? Under my original parents, or my adoptive parents? 'cos to be perfectly honest....... I want to be in the right tree!!!! lol Thanks to anyone that could answer this. I know your supossed to go backwards.....lol not forwards..... bye

Sam

Sam Report 20 Jun 2007 21:47

Are you searching the full indexes and not the partial FreeBMD ones? Sam x

Vera

Vera Report 20 Jun 2007 21:54

Hi Anis, In a family history handbook I have, this is what is states.... The Adopted Childrens Register ( ARC) is also maintained by the General Register Office. This contains particulars of adoptions authorised by the courts of England and Wales from 1st Jan. 1927. An entry in the ARC replaces the original birth record and should be used for all legal purposes. An index is available at the FRC for applications for adoption certificates that are normally processed in 5 working days. In short I don't think they will have any trouble tracing you. Regards Vera

Vera

Vera Report 20 Jun 2007 21:59

Hi Anis, Once adoptive children reach the age of eighteen, they are entitled to their original birth record. I would think in time to come.... whoever is looking up your details should be able to find out your original birth records. Maybe 100 years or so !!! Regards Vera

Anis

Anis Report 20 Jun 2007 22:00

Thanks for that.......... but they'd have to know I was adopted before applying for the cert no? not alot of people know my original name now....imagine 100 years later......lol

Vera

Vera Report 20 Jun 2007 22:09

Hi Anis, Do you know, I am not sure..... the only thing is a lot of detective work :-)) Regards Vera

Anis

Anis Report 20 Jun 2007 22:12

.....and i tryed all i could....!! lol I have an experianced person trying to trace me!!! lol She's just found the reg.......don't know which family I'll be in though!!!! the 2nd one hopefully!!! thanks again anis