Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

anyone up for another big challenge?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MariaW

MariaW Report 19 Jun 2007 22:43

You probably dread me posting! I have an Elizabeth Rice who I think married John Saturley. However, in all the censuses, the name is spelt differently so I have no idea what the correct spelling is so am having difficulty finding out what happened to all the children. I'm assuming they married before 1837 so can't order their marriage cert. I'll post the details in another post as I know they come out wonky otherwise

MariaW

MariaW Report 19 Jun 2007 22:44

This is what someone else has found for me thus far: I believe that this is Eliza Rice born c.1813. Patron submission by a member of the Mormon Church: John Saterday married Elizabeth Rice in 1833 in West Hatch, Somerset Record submitted after 1991 - no additional information is available 1841 Census of Somerset HO107/941/12/19 West Hatch, Somerset John Saturday 30 Labourer Y Eliza Saturday 25 Y Fanny Saturday 6 Y John Saturday 4 Y Rebecca Saturday 2 Y Harriet Saturday 1 Y Yes Tom, I know Eliza stated that she was born in Somerset but take a look at the 1851 census below - also she's named two of her daughters after her sisters? 1851 Census of Somerset HO107; Piece: 1922; Folio: 216; Page: 3 Mare Green, West Hatch, Somerset John Saturly (sic) Head 40 Thurlbear, Somerset Ag.lab Eliza Saturly Wife 35 Honiton, Devonshire John Saturly Son 14 West Hatch, Somerset Ag.lab Rebecca Saturly Dau 11 West Hatch, Somerset Scholar Harriet Saturly Dau 10 West Hatch, Somerset Scholar Sarah Saturly Dau 8 West Hatch, Somerset Scholar Mary Saturly Dau 6 West Hatch, Somerset Scholar Eliza Saturly Dau 4 West Hatch, Somerset Henry Saturly Son 2 West Hatch, Somerset __________________________________ 1861 Census of Somerset RG9; Piece: 1614; Folio: 63; Page: 10 John Saturday Head 51 Thurlbear, Somerset Ag.lab Eliza Saturday Wife 48 Honiton, Devonshire Lab's wife Mary Saturday Dau 16 West Hatch, Somerset Henry Saturday Son 7 West Hatch, Somerset ___________________________________ 1871 Census of Devon RG10; Piece: 2090; Folio: 41; Page: 3 Colleyend, Painton, Devon John Saturley Head 61 Stoke St. Mary, Somerset Ag.lab Eliza Saturley Wife 60 Honiton, Devon Henry Saturley Son 15 West Hatch, Somerset NS? ____________________________________ 1881 Census of Devon RG11; Piece: 2171; Folio: 40; Page: 1 Holloways Hill, Painton, Devon John Satterley (sic) Head 73 Stoke St. Mary, Somerset Ag.lab Eliza Satterley Wife 73 Honiton, Devon Formerly Lace Worker _____________________________________ The transcription says that John Satterley is 30 years old but I think it says 80 1891 Census of Devon RG12; Piece: 1707; Folio 108; Page 22; Cemetery Road, Paignton, Devon John Satterley Head 80 Taunton, Somerset Ag.lab It's awful to think that he was still working as an ag.lab at the age of 80? _____________________________________ This looks like Eliza's death? Deaths Jun 1882 Satterly Eliza 75 Totnes 5b 106 __________________________________________ John Saturday/Saturley/Satterley's death does not appear on FreeBMD at present.

Georgina

Georgina Report 19 Jun 2007 23:20

Maria you seem to have quite a bit of info already, exactly what are you trying to find? Georgina.

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 19 Jun 2007 23:45

The first thing I would do is to check out that marriage! It is a Patron Submission and gives no date or place for the marriage - they havent found it, in other words. She could be any old Eliza! Or no marriage exists - again, how do they know her maiden name, then? OC

Heather

Heather Report 19 Jun 2007 23:45

Have you tried looking for an Eliza Rice in Devon on the Igi?

MariaW

MariaW Report 19 Jun 2007 23:51

I haven't quite got the hang of IGI yet, someone else did it for me. Am trying to find which IS the correct spelling although it seems they've used various spellings. Have been going through FreeBMD and have found what I assume are quite a few of their deaths at fairly young ages. Have found Harriet married to a Lock. Unfortunately though I can't confirm the deaths if I don't know which is the correct spelling

Sue in Somerset

Sue in Somerset Report 19 Jun 2007 23:58

There isn't a right spelling that far back. People could have their names spelled in different ways from census to census and on certificates. Iliterate people (as many were in the 19th century) didn't know or care how their names were written and it would depend on the person doing the writing and the accent of whoever said the name. Then names can be easily mistaken when transcribed. Sue

Heather

Heather Report 20 Jun 2007 00:08

As Susan says, there is no definitive 'correct' spelling for names. I have one ancestor whose name is spelt differently three times at each event of his baptism, marriage and baptism of his own kids and all in the same parish. Have a practice on the IGI - its easy enough, go to familysearch.org, click on IGI in the left margin, enter your search and away it goes. And the ancestry three day free trial will give you lots to look up. Nothing like the thrill of finding your own information.

MariaW

MariaW Report 20 Jun 2007 00:08

I'm already on Ancestry and it's all the various spellings of the name that are doing my head in! However, I'm started to sway towards the Saturley spelling. For example, on one of the names, Sarah, I've found the following on BMD (note different spellings, so I'm not sure which ones are my Sarah) Surname First name(s) District Vol Page Marriages Dec 1849 (>99%) Satterley Sarah Taunton 10 731 Marriages Jun 1853 (>99%) SATTERLEY Sarah Taunton 5c 689 But there’s no births or deaths for Sarah SATTERLEY, obviously if she's married then there won't be any marriages though There’s no births for Sarah SATURLEY, but there are deaths Deaths Sep 1855 (>99%) Saturley Sarah Taunton 5c 209 Deaths Mar 1892 (>99%) Saturley Sarah 60 Taunton 5c 265 Deaths Sep 1903 (>99%) Saturley Sarah Jane 59 Chard 5c 222 And there are marriages Surname First name(s) District Vol Page Marriages Sep 1844 (95%) SATURLEY Sarah Chard 10 563 Marriages Jun 1861 (>99%) Saturley Sarah Wellington Som 5c 581 Marriages Sep 1887 (>99%) Saturley Sarah Bridgwater 5c 545 On FreeBMD there are no births, marriages or deaths for Sarah Saturday so I’m going to rule that one out. Same goes for Saterday. There are also no Births, marriages or deaths for Sarah Saturly, so I may be able to rule that spelling out as well. I've also come across the different spellings thing with my Rice/Right/Wright problem! I'm NOT being lazy in case that's what you're all thinking. I only started doing this in February so I'm still pretty new to it. I started with around 14 names and I've added about 400 so I'm not being lazy!

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 20 Jun 2007 00:08

The LDS have filmed the records of the Parish church in West Hatch.(But not transcribed them to the IGI) You can order them to view at your nearest LDS centre for about £3. This will tell you whether this marriage exists or not. The Banns book has also been filmed so you may find some useful information in there, too. OC

MariaW

MariaW Report 20 Jun 2007 00:20

Thanks to everyone else as well

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 20 Jun 2007 00:25

Maria As the others have said, there is/was no 'right' way to spell a name and if you try to find the 'right' spelling you will undoubtedly go mad! When searching, use the wild card - enter SAT***** and this will give you most of the versions of the name. But not all of them! My main line is HOLDEN - nice, easy name, eh? I have 27 different versions of the spelling of that name, so far. OC

MariaW

MariaW Report 20 Jun 2007 00:29

Old Crone Thanks for the tips, but I can't find any of their births except one under Saturley It's also hard to match up marriages without knowing the right name!

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 20 Jun 2007 00:35

Maria I really think you are making this hard for yourself - by your own admission, you only THINK your Eliza Rice married this Satterley man. Much better to go backwards from what you absolutely KNOW is fact, than try to come forwards from a guess. OC

MariaW

MariaW Report 20 Jun 2007 00:47

Very true!

MariaW

MariaW Report 20 Jun 2007 00:53

However, I would point out that Eliza had siblings called Rebecca, Harriet, Sarah and Henry. This Eliza that's married to John Saturley also has children called Rebecca, Harriet, Sarah and Henry. OK, they were common enough names but is it just a big coincidence that four of her children could be named after her siblings?