Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Richard

Richard Report 18 Jun 2007 16:25

Hi There, Please could anyone tell me what the name Nancy can be short for, any ideas? Regards Richard

Vera

Vera Report 18 Jun 2007 16:33

Hi Richard, Nancy sometimes is used as a pet name for Ann Regards Vera

Vera

Vera Report 18 Jun 2007 16:38

Hi Richard, Found the info., on this site........... www(.)behindthename(.)com ignore brackets Regards Vera

Richard

Richard Report 18 Jun 2007 16:41

Hi Vera, Thanks very much for your help, cheers Richard

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 18 Jun 2007 17:03

It is also very much a proper name in it's own right, you only have to do a search of the BMDs to find thousands of them. Jennifer

Jane Gateshead Girl

Jane Gateshead Girl Report 18 Jun 2007 18:27

this is from www(.)whatsinaname(.)net Nancy (F) > Nancy (female) Synonym(s): Agnes (F) Diminutive(s): Nan (F) Pet Name for: Ann (F) Source(s): The Oxford Names Companion, OUP 'Scottish Forenames' - Donald Whyte, FGH, FSG Personal communication [EP] Notes: Origin uncertain. In England Nancy has been a pet name for Ann since the 18th century [see also Nan] but more recently has been a given name in its own right. In Scotland Nancy has long been used synonymously with Agnes and one correspondent [EP] records this interchangeability in Salem, Massachusetts, USA towards the end of the 18th century.

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 18 Jun 2007 18:44

Try as I might, I just cannot see how Agnes becomes Nancy! OC