Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I dont know where to start....

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rachel

Rachel Report 18 Jun 2007 10:20

Hello My dad lost his mum when i was a little girl and he cant remember his grandparents and i dont know how to go about finding them.... details i know are as follows: Mother: Hilda May Barnes Born 1921 in Lancaster From what i can gather she was the only daughter of Richard Barnes and May Topping Hilda married a Dennis metcalf My dad will also appear as Dennis R My dad also had a sister Vararie there were 14 years between them. This all the info i have on them and would really like to find out more, any help anyone could provide would be truely gratefull. Many Thanks Rachel

Georgina

Georgina Report 18 Jun 2007 10:27

Possible birth for May... Births Mar 1897 (>99%) Topping May Lancaster 8e 773 Georgina.

Georgina

Georgina Report 18 Jun 2007 10:28

Do you have Hilda May's birth certificate? Georgina.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 18 Jun 2007 10:33

So your dad has his birth cert and knows his parents names. The next step is to find his parents marriage cert and this will give both their ages and their dads names. You can search for their birth certs and gradually go back through each generation. You should get back quite quickly to the 1901 census . You will need to search for the marriage cert and then the birth certs on Ancestry which is free for BMD,s Shirley

Georgina

Georgina Report 18 Jun 2007 10:34

Richard Barnes married May Topping in the september quarter 1920 in Lancaster ref no:8e-2511. If you get the marriage certificate it will give you their ages & their fathers names & occupations. Georgina.

Julie

Julie Report 18 Jun 2007 10:35

Here is Richard and May Marriage details Richard Barnes married May Topping 1920 Q3 Lancaster 8e 2511 Have changed it from May to Lancaster If you look for the marriage through May Topping is says they were married in an area called May, but if you look through Richard it says Lancaster

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 18 Jun 2007 10:39

The birth reg'n (AMJ 1921) confirms MMN as Topping The next step is to locate the reg'n of the marriage of Hilda's parents.......the cert will tell you how old they were, plus the names and occupations of each of their fathers. Reg

Georgina

Georgina Report 18 Jun 2007 10:39

You will need the marriage certificate to verify all the info found... 1901 census.. Name: May Topping Age: 4 Estimated birth year: abt 1897 Relation: Daughter Father's name: John Mother's name: Elizabeth Gender: Female Where born: Lancaster, Lancashire, England Civil parish: Lancaster Ecclesiastical parish: Lancaster St Anne Town: Lancaster County/Island: Lancashire Country: England Street address: Occupation: Condition as to marriage: Education: Employment status: View image Registration district: Lancaster Sub-registration district: Lancaster ED, institution, or vessel: 4 Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 132 Household Members: Name Age Ada Topping 6 Edward Topping 15 Elizabeth Topping 40 Elizabeth Topping 12 Ernest Topping 8 James Topping 11 John Topping 39 May Topping 4 Georgina.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 18 Jun 2007 10:42

This MIGHT be relevant............. Name: May Topping Year of Registration: 1897 Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar DISTRICT: Lancaster County: Lancashire Volume: 8e Page: 773 IF it's the right one......here she is in 1901 Name: May Topping Age: 4 Estimated birth year: abt 1897 Relation: Daughter Father's name: John Mother's name: Elizabeth Gender: Female Where born: Lancaster, Lancashire, England Civil parish: Lancaster Ecclesiastical parish: Lancaster St Anne Town: Lancaster County/Island: Lancashire Country: England Street address: Occupation: Condition as to marriage: Education: Employment status: View image Registration district: Lancaster Sub-registration district: Lancaster ED, institution, or vessel: 4 Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 132 Household Members: Name Age Ada Topping 6 Edward Topping 15 Elizabeth Topping 40 b. Cleator Moor, Cumberland Elizabeth Topping 12 Ernest Topping 8 James Topping 11 John Topping 39 b. Scotforth. Occ: Iron Fitter May Topping 4 Reg

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 18 Jun 2007 10:46

Speculating again............1901 Name: Richard Barnes Age: 10 Estimated birth year: abt 1891 Relation: Son Father's name: Richard Mother's name: Isabella Gender: Male Where born: Lancaster, Lancashire, England Civil parish: Lancaster Ecclesiastical parish: Lancaster St Mary Town: Lancaster County/Island: Lancashire Country: England Registration district: Lancaster Sub-registration district: Lancaster ED, institution, or vessel: 18 Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 7 Household Members: Name Age Elizabeth Barnes 18 Isabella Barnes 43 b. Gressingham, Lancs John Barnes 8 Lilian Barnes 19 Nicholas H Barnes 14 Richard Barnes 47 Occ: Flour Warehouseman Richard Barnes 10 Reg