Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Parish Register Look-up Swerford 1783ish Richard W

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

dancingqueen

dancingqueen Report 17 Jun 2007 20:09

Hi I am wondering if someone would be willing to do a look up for me in 1851 cenus for Richard West, wife Charlotte West I believe they will be living in Dunthrop, they are there in 1841 Cenus age 55 years old, so believe they will be approx 65 years in 1851 cenus. Am trying to establish where they were both born. Thank you Joanna After help we have established that Richard West is most likely born Swerford 1783ish would someone be willing to do a parish look-up please. Thanks

Jane Gateshead Girl

Jane Gateshead Girl Report 17 Jun 2007 20:14

Joanne can you confirm for reference is this the family in 1841? Name: Richard West Age: 55 Estimated birth year: abt 1786 Gender: Male Where born: Oxfordshire, England Civil parish: Heythrop Hundred: Wootton County/Island: Oxfordshire Country: England Street address: Occupation: View image Registration district: Chipping Norton Sub-registration district: Chipping Norton Neighbors: View others on page Household Members: Name Age Charlott West 55 George West 15 Henney West 15 Jannes West 25 Richard West 55 Thomas West 25 Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece 890; Book: 2; Civil Parish: Heythrop; County: Oxfordshire; Enumeration District: 15; Folio: 4; Page: 3; Line: 3; GSU roll: 474576.

dancingqueen

dancingqueen Report 17 Jun 2007 20:20

Jane Yes I can confirm that, that is the family in the 1841 cenus Thanks Joanna

Jane Gateshead Girl

Jane Gateshead Girl Report 17 Jun 2007 20:27

i think this is them 1851 although it doesn't mention Richard I have looked at the transcript and the head of h/hold is definately Richard West 65 - Ag Lab: Name: Charlott West Age: 65 Estimated birth year: abt 1786 Relation: Head Gender: Female Where born: Dunter, Oxfordshire, England Civil parish: Heythrop County/Island: Oxfordshire Country: England Street address: Occupation: Condition as to marriage: Disability: View image Registration district: Chipping Norton Sub-registration district: Charlbury ED, institution, or vessel: 11 Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 5 Household Members: Name Age George Geddale 8 Charlott West 65 Henry West 25 Sarah West 37 Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 1732; Folio: 519; Page: 2; GSU roll: 193643.

dancingqueen

dancingqueen Report 17 Jun 2007 20:32

Jane Thank you very much that is definitely them in the 1851 cenus, can I ask as it does not say where Richard West was born please??, as clearly Charlotte was born Dunthrop, Oxfordshire. THANK YOU Joanna

Jane Gateshead Girl

Jane Gateshead Girl Report 17 Jun 2007 20:36

Joanne Sorry the image is really bad - can't make it out the first bit is oxen which you already know but the rest is illegible - age looks more like 68 than 65 too. Sorry Jane

dancingqueen

dancingqueen Report 17 Jun 2007 20:39

Jane Thank you for looking,I am really greatful. Could I ask is there any chance it could be Deddington -as I found a christening on Familysearch for 1786 of a Richard West? Thank you very much for your help Joanna

Jane Gateshead Girl

Jane Gateshead Girl Report 17 Jun 2007 20:47

sorry I really cant read it at all this is what he is transcribed as which will probably be no help either: Record Duhard West abt 1783 Iwedfilk, Oxfordshire, England Head Heythrop Oxfordshire good luck!! Jane

Mary

Mary Report 17 Jun 2007 20:50

Hi Joanna I saw your lookup request as as I was born in Oxfordshire am always interested in folks with Oxonian rellies. I have the discs for Oxfordshire 1851 census so dusted them off and had a look. The 1851 census shows Richard's birthplace as Swerford which is about 3 miles north of Heythrop and his age is shown as 68. Hope this will help. Mary

dancingqueen

dancingqueen Report 17 Jun 2007 21:13

Jane and Mary Thank you Jane, for trying your best. Thank you Mary for getting your copy out of the 1851 cenus, am thus assuming that Swerford is no where near Deddington, unfortunately I live on the Isle of Wight and sometimes find it difficult to work out how far away different places are. Well thank you both again, will now work on the assumption that Richard West was born Swerford approx 1783, so if anyone has the parish registers for Swerford could I please have a look up thanks. Thanks again Joanna

Penny Eves

Penny Eves Report 22 Jun 2007 18:09

From the OFHS's Oxfordshire Marriage Index (1538-1837): 27 APR 1808 - Richard WEST to Charlotte WEBB at Heythrop (The only RW/Charlotte marriage on the index!) Penny

dancingqueen

dancingqueen Report 23 Jun 2007 16:53

Penny Yes I believe this to my Richard West and Charlotte Webb's marriage, was just trying to go further back and find Richards West baptism Thank you for that Penny Another kind GR member has PM me and found Richard West baptism on 05/10/1783 son to John and Elizabeth. Thanks everyone Regards Joanna