Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help in finding a marriage please............

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

TinaElizabeth

TinaElizabeth Report 12 Jun 2007 22:34

I'm looking for my great grandparents marriage.I have tried ancestry but i cannot see it for looking...... Arthur stokes b.1892 and an Elizabeth Jemima houghton 1889 in Hitchin,Hertfordshire. Tina

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 12 Jun 2007 22:48

Have you searched the FULL records? That means viewing the images, qtr by qtr..........or have you looked only at the transcribed freebmd extracts? If you have viewed the images, please say exactly which years you have checked. Reg

TinaElizabeth

TinaElizabeth Report 12 Jun 2007 22:51

I tried the full marriages on ancestry,i haven't tried freebmd,will do now.Are they not all on ancestry then? Tina

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 12 Jun 2007 22:55

freebmd only has partial records........and certainly not as recent as the one you need. You didn't say which years you had trawled through................ Ancestry has the complete GRO records.......... Reg

TinaElizabeth

TinaElizabeth Report 12 Jun 2007 22:57

Reg,i have completed 1907 - 1913.(it sure feels like more ) Not a great deal but i would have thought it would be around then. Am i right in thinking he might have been 14 when he married? Tina

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 12 Jun 2007 23:11

It is possible...but unlikely. Do you know anything about any children they may have had? Reg

TinaElizabeth

TinaElizabeth Report 12 Jun 2007 23:15

Yes they had 13/14 but the one thats been confirmed so to speak is my grandad born 1921.Tina

TinaElizabeth

TinaElizabeth Report 12 Jun 2007 23:16

Hi, its Elizabeth Houghton on Arthurs birth cert. but i got his birth wrong just checked, its Q2 1923 and his name is Arthur William stokes.(This is one of their children) Tina

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 12 Jun 2007 23:18

Is Elizabeth a Houghton or Roughton? Just wondering as there is a birth for a James Stokes in Dec 1915 and mother is shown as Roughton Just found this possible birth Name: Jemima Elizabeth Houghton Year of Registration: 1899 Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec DISTRICT: Hitchin County: Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire Volume: 3a Page: 623 Maureen

TinaElizabeth

TinaElizabeth Report 12 Jun 2007 23:21

You mean she might have married at 10 ? Tina

TinaElizabeth

TinaElizabeth Report 12 Jun 2007 23:27

Maureen,thats the date i have from the death entry.I'm 99.9 % sure thats her .Weird maybe they never did marry.............Tina Just reread it and the death i have, has the names the other way round,however she was always known as myme ,more than likely not spelt that way but thats how it sounds,lol.Which is likely to be a play on Jemima.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 12 Jun 2007 23:28

My grandmothers birth certificate dated Oct 1900 suggests that her parents were married. They actually married in 1914. Maureen

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 12 Jun 2007 23:29

If the birth Maureen found is the mother's, you may need to make your search for the marriage 10 years later.......... Reg