Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What is a Bondsman

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Marcelle

Marcelle Report 12 Jun 2007 10:06

Hello I have found a marriage and it states Bondsman 1, Woodford George, Innholder. Was a Bondsman like a witness? Thanks Marcelle

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 12 Jun 2007 10:27

From one of the many free online dictionaries......... bonds·man(bndzmn) n. 1. A person who provides bond or surety for another. 2. A male bondservant. Reg

Marcelle

Marcelle Report 12 Jun 2007 10:32

Thanks Reg, I have never come across it before. I am assuming he wasn't a servant as he was a innholder. (well so he said) Thanks Marcelle

Marcelle

Marcelle Report 12 Jun 2007 10:45

What, he would force the groom to the church!! ha ha Wonder what they did to the bondsman if the groom done a runner!!

Heather

Heather Report 12 Jun 2007 10:46

He paid up the money he had put down as the bond! Does seem a bit unromantic doesnt it - I havent read up on it but I have a Marriage Bond for one of my direct ancestors - his second marriage - and its a two page document. I suppose its a bit like the pre nuptial agreements the pop stars have now!

Heather

Heather Report 12 Jun 2007 10:52

In these circumstances the Bondsman was someone who guaranteed the groom would go ahead with the marriage - LOL.

Marcelle

Marcelle Report 12 Jun 2007 11:40

Hi Heather, where did you get the document from? I have to go to work now but will check back later. I found the marriage on the familysearch web site but wouldnt know where to find the actual document Thanks Marcelle

Heather

Heather Report 12 Jun 2007 13:09

Hi London Signatures have some - for the London Surrey area only though - pay to download.

Willow

Willow Report 12 Jun 2007 13:15

Hi Here is a link to a PDF that Horatia posted quite a while back, its an interesting read and will tell you how to locate the bonds and allegations for a marriage licence. www(.)yourfamilytreemag(.)co(.)uk/page/yft?entry=marriage_licenses_a_useful_resource hope it helps