Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Marriage puzzle

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Cheryl

Cheryl Report 11 Jun 2007 20:05

I looked up the marriage (on FreeBMD) of John Granger and found it in the 1st qr of 1857 in Blaby, Leicestershire (volume 7a page 65), but it doesn't show his wife's name. I know she was Lydia (from census's), but she isn't listed on the BMD record. I also tried the Family Search site which has the marriage but gives the wife's name as Lydia Granger. Can anyone suggest a solution (other than ordering the marriage certificate)? many thanks if you can help!

Jeanette

Jeanette Report 11 Jun 2007 20:11

perhaps her maiden name was granger as well have you looked for her on BMD index's with the same ref its free to search and register http://www.ancestry(.)co.uk/search/rectype/vital/freebmd/bmd.aspx remove brackets Jeanette

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 11 Jun 2007 20:12

unless you have some idea of her surname you cant double check on ancestry. One of the children's birth certs will give her maiden name but then so will the marriage cert, seems you going to have to buy one of them and as you already have a ref for the marriage that seems the best place to start especially as it will give the names of both fathers (hopefully) Shirley

Sam

Sam Report 11 Jun 2007 20:15

The entry on the Family Search site is a submitted one and doesn't give her maiden name, you will need the birth certificate of one of their children. Sam x

Cheryl

Cheryl Report 11 Jun 2007 21:02

Many thanks for the suggestions. I tried looking for the wife as Lydia Granger thinking she could be a cousin etc, but nothing! Looks like the only option is buying a certificate. Thanks again

Angela now in Wilts (not North Devon)

Angela now in Wilts (not North Devon) Report 11 Jun 2007 21:04

Cheryl As it's a comparatively uncommon first name, have you tried looking for a Lydia in the 1851 census, using her date & place of birth, but not putting in a surname? You could then narrow down the names for searching on Ancestry. Angela How about this one? Lydia Deacon Age: 13 Estimated birth year: abt 1838 Relation: Daughter Father's name: Robert Mother's name: Mary Gender: Female Where born: Fleckney, Leicestershire, England Civil parish: Fleckney County/Island: Leicestershire Country: England Registration district: Market Harborough Sub-registration district: Market Harborough ED, institution, or vessel: 1 Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 99 Household Members: Name Age Ezra Deacon 4 Lydia Deacon 13 Mary Deacon 54 Robert Deacon 55 Robert Deacon 11 Nope - I've checked, that's not her. Angela

Angela now in Wilts (not North Devon) Report 11 Jun 2007 21:46

Actually, Cheryl, Lydia Deacon does seem to be the only likely one born in the right place & right time, & can't find a Lydia Deacon in 1861. I suspect she may have been omitted from the marriage index - don't know if this happens often? Angea PS Just had a look at 1861 - there's a Robert Deacon, b 1841 Fleckney, with his brother Thomas in Aston. Isn't this where John & Lydia Granger ended up?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 11 Jun 2007 22:51

Are you sure you have the right John Granger's marriage reg'n? It seems strange that the marriage took place in Blaby district, as Fleckney was under Market Harborough......... Reg

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 12 Jun 2007 08:04

But Reg - John was born in Oadby which is in Blaby reg district. Also the first child was born there. Oadby & Fleckney are less than 5 miles apart, even though they are different reg districts. Trying to tackle the problem from a different angle... These are the only births of a Lydia in Market Harborough district on FreeBMD between 1837 & 1839: Births Mar 1838 (>99%) -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Deacon Lydia Market Harbro 15 180 Patrick Lydia Mt harbro 15 179 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Births Dec 1839 (>99%) -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Lovegrove Lydia Mt Harbro' 15 * and there are these deaths: Deaths Jun 1838 (>99%) -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Patrick Lydia Market Harborg 15 123 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Deaths Dec 1839 (>99%) -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Lovegrove Lydia Market Harbro 15 141 Lydia Deacon is the only Lydia born Fleckney on the 1851, and Lydia Granger is the only one thereafter. Admittedly FreeBMD is not complete, but my money is on Lydia Deacon for JG's wife! It wouldn't be the first time that one of the marriage partner's names has been missed off the GRO index. Of course, only the mc or a bc of one of the kids will tell for sure... Richard

Angela now in Wilts (not North Devon) Report 12 Jun 2007 08:10

Hello Richard I did check the images on Ancestry last night, & there wasn't a Lydia Deacon listed for the same quarter as John Granger. Is it possible her name was missed off the list, as it looks to me like she is the one? Angela

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 12 Jun 2007 08:18

Hi Angela - anything's possible of course! Yes, such mistakes are known to have occurred on the GRO index. FreeBMD is 98% complete for that quarter yet there are no Lydia's marrying in Blaby listed. So several possibilities: ... Lydia Deacon was missed off the marriage index ... or her surname wasn't Deacon and she's not yet been transcribed on freeBMD ... or we have the wrong John Granger marriage ... or she didn't use the name Lydia when she married! Only the cert will solve this one I think!

Angela now in Wilts (not North Devon) Report 12 Jun 2007 08:21

Is this the birth of child number one? Ezra was the name of one of Lydia Deacon's brothers.......... Births Sep 1857 (96%) Granger William Ezra Blaby 7a 31 all inconclusive and, as you say, only the cert will prove it, but I think it's a pretty safe bet! Angela

Cheryl

Cheryl Report 12 Jun 2007 08:36

This is fantastic! Thank you so much everyone for your help - I'd never have got this far alone. I'm really grateful for the help. Cheryl

Angela now in Wilts (not North Devon) Report 12 Jun 2007 08:39

Cheryl Please can you let us know the outcome? Angela

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 12 Jun 2007 08:49

Cheryl Possible final proof (or at least a potentially useful contact!) - there is a GR member by the name of Graham Grant who has both John Granger (1834 Oadby) AND Lydia Deacon (1839 Fleckney) on his GR tree! Too much of a coincidence I think...

Cheryl

Cheryl Report 12 Jun 2007 14:21

I've messaged Graham Grant, as he seems the person to finally confirm this, although I'm 100% sure now that John's wife must be Lydia Deacon (otherwise how would he have both names in his tree). I'll put an update on here when I receive a reply (hope he does reply!!) Cheryl

Cheryl

Cheryl Report 15 Jun 2007 08:01

I've had a reply from someone in Australia who have the Deacons in their tree who says 'confirms that John Granger did marry our Lydia Deacon' So that's solved! Many thanks everyone. cheryl