Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Alexander Frater Marriage Look-Up please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Donald

Donald Report 7 Jun 2007 22:37

Looking for the Marriage of Alexander Frater and Penelope Hay, it would of been before June 1851 as they arrived in Sydney, Australia in June 1851, ages at the time where Alexander 22 andPenelope 17. Penelope was born Kirkcudbright 10 Feb 1834 to Peter Hay and Mary Isabella Mitchell. According to the lists on the IGI, Alexander was born in 1828 to John Frater and Mary Glover, this birth is listed a couple of times in both Kirknewton, Northumberland and Kirkalloway, Scotland, none of what I have found on the IGI has a point of reference, hoping someone can help. Thanks.

Georgina

Georgina Report 7 Jun 2007 22:50

This is a submitted entry from the IGI, submitted entries should always be double checked so If I were you I would look for the marriage on scotlands people. Alexander Frater Male Event(s): Birth: 1828 Kirkalloway, , , Scotland Christening: Death: 24 MAR 1911 Burial: Parents: Father: John Frater Mother: Frater Marriages: Spouse: Penelope Hay Marriage: 1850 , Kirkcudbright, Scotland Georgina.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 7 Jun 2007 22:53

The problem is that they are all submitted records on Familysearch, aren't they? Personally. I don't put any faith in submitted records. Margaret

Georgina

Georgina Report 7 Jun 2007 23:19

This could possibly be Alexander in 1841... Name: Alexander Frater Age: 13 Estimated birth year: abt 1828 Gender: Male Where born: Lanarkshire, Scotland Civil parish: Gorbals County: Lanarkshire Address: Portugal Street Occupation: Cal Prin Parish Number: 644/2 Neighbors: View others on page Household Members: Name Age Alexander Frater 13 James Frater 55 James Frater 20 Margaret Frater 50 William Frater 18 Georgina.

Georgina

Georgina Report 7 Jun 2007 23:20

Donald could they have married on board ship or when they got to australia? On the 1841 census Penelope Hay is only 7 years old.. Name: Penelope Hay Age: 7 Estimated birth year: abt 1834 Gender: Female Where born: Kirkcudbrightshire, Scotland Civil parish: Kirkcudbright County: Kirkcudbrightshire Address: Milburn Street Parish Number: 871 Neighbors: View others on page Household Members: Name Age Agnes Glendening 50 Agnes Hay 13 Isabella Hay 15 Marion Hay 9 Penelope Hay 7 Peter Hay 40 Georgina.

Fox On The Rocks

Fox On The Rocks Report 7 Jun 2007 23:26

Donald, I did a search on Scotlandspeople, but could find no marriage between Penelope and Alexander (used various wildcards in the search) nor could I find an Alexander Frater born anywhere in scotland in 1828 (again using wildcards). I did find a Penelope hay in 1841 census with a Peter that could be her father, living in Kirkcudbright:- Name: Penelope Hay Age: 7 Estimated birth year: abt 1834 Gender: Female Where born: Kirkcudbrightshire, Scotland Civil parish: Kirkcudbright County: Kirkcudbrightshire Address: Milburn Street Parish Number: 871 Neighbors: View others on page Household Members: Name Age Agnes Glendening 50 Agnes Hay 13 Isabella Hay 15 Marion Hay 9 Penelope Hay 7 Peter Hay 40 But, as the others said, as the IGI entries you viewed were all submitted, I personally would not pay attention to them. However, there is a birth for Penelope Hay registered in the OPR records in 1838 with parents Mary Mitchell and Peter Hay, If you know for sure that was her parents names!?

Fox On The Rocks

Fox On The Rocks Report 7 Jun 2007 23:33

Georgina, You just beat me to it, I was about to do that!!!! LOL

Donald

Donald Report 8 Jun 2007 17:46

Thanks all. If as Georgina pointed out, they may have married on board, where are these records kept and are they able to be viewed.

Christine

Christine Report 8 Jun 2007 21:23

Thank you Donald for posting message here for me I never realized I could do that in Genes. Thanks Christine