Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Is anyone going to Burnley Records office or Libra

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 7 Jun 2007 11:27

I am looking for a marriage (it doesnt appear on the GRO index). I know the date is 19 March 1920 in Burnley and believe it may of been at a Roman Catholic Church if it is possible for you to check the catholic church records for this area. I am not sure if it is the records office or the library that hold these records. The married couple are Grosvenor Ashford Clarke and Irene Aida Littlejohns thanks in advance, Siobhan

*Sharm

*Sharm Report 7 Jun 2007 12:44

hello Siobhan You say you know the date was 19th march 1920, do you have the marriage cert, or is it what you have beeen told? i looked for you on the bmd complete index and havent found it. there are many catholic churches in and around Burnley could you narrow it down? im from burnley myself and funnily enough have the surname Clarke in my tree, my greatgrandmothers maiden name was clarke! but i havent come across the one you have. if you give me more details ill see what i can do. Sharmala.

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 7 Jun 2007 12:46

Sharmala I think Siobhan has this date from a later (Scottish) birth certificate. She has already had searches done at the GRO and local RO. OC

*Sharm

*Sharm Report 7 Jun 2007 12:54

Thanks OC Does this mean she has already asked for help then regarding this marriage before? Sharmala

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 7 Jun 2007 13:19

hiya, sorry I don't have an exact church. I am kind of clutching at straws. I know the couple were roman catholics (well the bride was anyway), so I am looking at the hope it got missed being sent to the records office. (A big hope I know). I have been trying to trace my Great grandfather - Grosvenor for over 5 years now and I am not closer to finding anything. If it is too difficult a search, then not to worry. here's hoping the 1911 census when it is released (fully searchable) will give me some new leads.