Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Does anyone have access to Ancestry Canada please?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susan

Susan Report 7 Jun 2007 09:46

Hello, I have access to ancestry Uk but need info on possible canadian family. Particularly interested in Edward Skate born 1842 - 3 shown in Ontario Census Index 1871. Any details appreciated. Also interested in Edward (1874) & Samuel Skeates(1877) in Canadian 1901 census. Anything appreciated. I am at brianwatson49 on Ancestry if this helps. Thanks Brian

Suein10b

Suein10b Report 7 Jun 2007 10:07

1871 only show is a Charles Skeates aged 28 Head of House 1901 Edward Skeates Gender: Male Marital Status: Married Age: 26 Birth Date: 22 Sep 1874 Birthplace: Quebec Relation to Head of House: Stepson Mother's name: Rose Racial or Tribal Origin: English Nationality: Canadian Province: Ontario DISTRICT: Lennox District Number: 84 Sub-District: Napanee (Town/Ville) Sub-District Number: G-Center Ward No 1 Family Number: 30 Page: 3 Neighbors: View others on page Household Members: Name Age Samuel Hayes 56 Rose Hayes 59 Rachael E Hayes 17 Clarence H Hayes 15 Edward Skeates 26 Samuel Skeates 23 Sue

Susan

Susan Report 7 Jun 2007 10:21

Thanks very much Sue - just what I wanted. Brian

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 7 Jun 2007 13:07

Brian, the 1901 census on Automated Genealogy has the name mistranscribed as Slicates. Somebody has made corrections to it meaning that somebody is researching the family. They have corrected it to Skates but the original looks like Skeates to me. Birthdates on the census are: Rose, 9 Nov.1841 Edward, 22 Sep. 1874 Samuel, 28 Dec.1877 All born Quebec.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 7 Jun 2007 13:13

Do you have this from Ontario Vital Statistics? 006412-82 Samuel HAYES, 45, laborer, widower, North Fredericksburgh, Napanee, s/o James HAYES & Rachel McDONALD, married Rose Richardson SKATES, 41, widow, Quebec City, Napanee, d/o James RICHARDSON & Margaret FARRELL, witn: Ellen YOUNG of Napanee & Jane M. KELLOCH of Mill Haven on Nov. 22, 1882 at Napanee

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 7 Jun 2007 13:46

Just a lttle more, Brian. (I hope you're going to come back to your thread) On Familysearch there's a birth of Edward Skeats, 22 Sep. 1873, Osnabruck & Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry, Ontario, which is where I live. Parents are Charles Skeats & Rose Richardson. It certainly sounds like your Edward but it said on the 1901 census that he was born in Quebec. It's an extracted record not submitted. (I don't trust submitted ones) but I can't find where it's extracted from. Margaret

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 7 Jun 2007 17:57

The 1881 Canadian census. (Note that we mistranscribe over here as well as in England, sometimes even better!) Name Marital Status Gender Ethnic Origin Age Birthplace Occupation Religion Rose SCATES W Female English 39 Quebec Servant Church of England Eliza SCATES Female English 15 Ontario Church of England Charles SCATES Male English 12 Ontario School Church of England Edward SCATES Male English 7 Ontario School Church of England Samuel SCATES Male English 5 Ontario School Church of England Margaret RICHARDSON W Female Irish 65 Ireland Church of England -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Source Information: Census Place Napanee Town, Lennox, Ontario Family History Library Film 1375872 NA Film Number C-13236 District 117 Sub-district G Page Number 17 Household Number 75

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 7 Jun 2007 18:21

Hope I have the right family here, Brian, 'cause i'm still going! This looks like the marriage of a brother of Rose. She's a witness and it shows that she's in Napanee in 1875. 005037-75 James RICHARDSON, 24, labourer, Quebec, Napanee, s/o James & Margaret RICHARDSON; married Hannah Beatie HICKS, 17, Napanee, Napanee, d/o Vandyke & Catherine HICKS; witn Richard RICHARDSON, Napanee & Rosa SKEATES, Lackin, 24 Nov 1875, Napanee