Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help needed please again!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Familyfinder

Familyfinder Report 6 Jun 2007 13:28

I have a widow Sarah Ann Harwood (Born 1841-Brighton according to census) with Children Ada Louisa 1877and Agnes Maria born 1870. I have them in Topsham, Devon in 1881. I cannot seem to determine which was the right Mr Harwood. I found a James Harwood that died between 1877 and 1881 which could have been him-he married a Sarah Ann Venus-which fits-but the only one of those I found was born the Isle of Wight! nothing like Brighton-Can anyone help please? Wondered if Brightonhad been mistranscribed on the census-or even misheard? Love tohave anyones opinion/help x

Familyfinder

Familyfinder Report 6 Jun 2007 13:28

posting 1881 for ref. Sarah Ann Harwood Age: 40 Estimated birth year: abt 1841 Relation: Head Gender: Female Where born: Brighton Civil parish: Topsham County/Island: Devon Country: England Street address: Lr Shapler Street Condition as to marriage: Windower (Widower) Education: Employment status: Subscribe now to see this information. Occupation: Laundress Registration district: St Thomas Sub-registration district: Topsham ED, institution, or vessel: 4 Neighbors: View others on page Household Members: Name Age Ada L. Harwood 4 James C. Harwood 11 Sarah Ann Harwood 40 Charles J. Westcott 10 View Original Record Get all the details available on the original record image. Subscribe Now View blank form Save This Record

jen yorkshire

jen yorkshire Report 6 Jun 2007 13:31

this looks like her, they were from hamps but down in devon which fits 1861 Sarah A Venus Age: 21 Estimated birth year: abt 1840 Relation: Daughter Father's name: Charles Mother's name: Maria Gender: Female Where born: Isle of Wight, Sandown Civil parish: Lympstone County/Island: Devon Country: England Street address: Occupation: Condition as to marriage: View image Registration district: St Thomas Sub-registration district: Exmouth ED, institution, or vessel: 10 Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 129 Household Members: Name Age Alfred Venus 14 Charles Venus 47 Charles Venus 16 Elizabeth Venus 1 Emily Venus 12 Frederick Venus 8 Henry Venus 4 Maria Venus 42 Sarah A Venus 21

jen yorkshire

jen yorkshire Report 6 Jun 2007 13:35

1881 has sarah and all the children b devon.

Familyfinder

Familyfinder Report 6 Jun 2007 13:43

That looks good-but whree does 'Brighton' comefrom-I'm a bit puzzled (And not very good at geography!) but Lympstone is ideal-about 4 miles from topsham thats all.

ValT

ValT Report 6 Jun 2007 22:06

Hi I think you have the right Sarah given these dates and places. Births Dec 1869 Harwood James Charles St. Thomas 5b 59 seems likely to be right son as Sarah's father was Charles Marriages Mar 1866 HARWOOD James A St. Thomas 5b 112 VENUS Sarah A St Thomas 5b 112 Births Dec 1839 Venus Sarah Ann I. of Wight 8 223 Deaths Jun 1879 Harwood James 35 St. Thomas 5b 42 Births Sep 1837 Venus William John Faversham 5 120 1841 census Charles Vanus [Charles Venus] Age: 25 Estimated birth year: abt 1816 Gender: Male Civil parish: Brading Hundred: Isle of Wight Division East Medina Liberty County/Island: Hampshire Country: England Street address: Occupation: COAST GUARD Registration district: Isle of Wight Sub-registration district: Ryde Neighbors: View others on page Household Members: Name Age Charles Vanus 25 not born Hampshire Maria Vanus 20 ' ' Sarah Vanus 1 born in Hampshire IOW William Vanus 3 ' ' Hope these help. Val