Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

asylum

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

.•:*★jet★*:•

.•:*★jet★*:• Report 5 Jun 2007 21:57

is there a way to find out why children were put in the asylums in 1820's? thanks

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 5 Jun 2007 22:22

Can I ask where you got the information from? It would have been extremely unusual for children to be put into an asylum in the 1820s - in the 1820s, asylums were few and far between and were for the insane adult, generally. - and almost always privately paid for. OC

.•:*★jet★*:• Report 5 Jun 2007 22:30

hi i have found a family member a 13 year old in an asylum it says inmate asylum rugby but doesn't say what was wrong? any way i can find out? thanks

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 5 Jun 2007 22:41

In 1820???? OC

.•:*★jet★*:• Report 5 Jun 2007 22:44

sorry 1840 in stretton on dunsmore asylum for boys?

Janet in Yorkshire

Janet in Yorkshire Report 5 Jun 2007 22:47

If it was for convicted boys, there may be a record of his conviction, giving details of the crime. (One of mine threw stones in the street, endangering passers-by.) Perhaps if you e-mailed the appropriate Record Office with details of his name and a rough date, they would be able to tell you if there is any 'court' record for him. Jay

MaryfromItaly

MaryfromItaly Report 5 Jun 2007 22:49

Google is your friend :-) In Stretton, the Warwick County Asylum for Juvenile Delinquents was established in 1818. It was a private venture, taking charge of convicted boys of 14 to 16 years of age, who were kept for two years and taught shoemaking and tailoring. This reformatory was closed before 1900... http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.asp?compid=57137

.•:*★jet★*:• Report 5 Jun 2007 23:00

thank you would it tell me anywhere in the census it just says he was there not what he has done when i look? thanks

MaryfromItaly

MaryfromItaly Report 5 Jun 2007 23:09

No, the census doesn't give that kind of information. As Jay says, you'll have to try the local Record Office.