Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trouble with my John Smith

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 4 Jun 2007 19:50

I'm looking for a reference for the birth of John Smith 1853 in Rotherfield Sussex. (parents John and Ellen) On FreeBMD, it appears as ref 2b 98 for two quarters! June and September 1853. Is there anywhere I can check which one's correct please?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 4 Jun 2007 20:51

I suspect it is just coincidence that two births for a child with the same name appear on the same page in different quarters. The chances are that page numbers for any given name will be about the same in different qtrs, as they are listed alphabetically, and start from '1' at the beginning of each new qtr You could apply for both, quoting the forenames of the parents as checking points.........you would receive the correct cert, plus a refund of part of your payment for the incorrect one. However, as registration wasn't compulsory until 1875, it may be that neither of the records refer to your relation. Reg

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 4 Jun 2007 21:13

Lizzie, on the 1861 census the only John Smith, born 1853, Rotherfield has parents John & Frances. I can't see one at all with parents John & Ellen. Margaret

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 4 Jun 2007 21:15

Thank you for that Reg; I suspected as much. This is what happens when most of your relatives have such a common name!!

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 4 Jun 2007 21:21

Glad I'm not the only one having them, Lizzie. Margaret

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 4 Jun 2007 21:25

Sorry Margaret, I meant John and Frances. I was having a senior moment!