Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Poorhouses

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rosiemay

Rosiemay Report 3 Jun 2007 21:30

I have just obtained a couple of death certificates for my relations and they died in 'The Poor House' but then gave another address under 'usual residence'. What does this mean pleae? Did it mean people actually go into the Poor house to die as they cannot afford hospital fees if they are ill? Would appreciate some one enlightening me please Many thanks

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 3 Jun 2007 21:46

Yes, the Poprhouse, or Workhouse, was the only kind of medical attention available to the poor. Of course, they may have been in the Workhouse BECAUSE they were poor, and then died, rather than going in because they were ill. but the fact that a 'usual residence' was given suggests they had gone in for medical reasons. OC

Rosiemay

Rosiemay Report 3 Jun 2007 21:48

Old Crone Holden Many thanks for that - you have explained it wonderfully! Regards Rosie