Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Memorials to your WW1 casualty relations

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Fi aka Wheelie Spice

Fi aka Wheelie Spice Report 3 Jun 2007 18:03

After only knowing the regiment the surviving brother served with and the names of his dead brothers I searched the Commonwealth War Grave Commision site in hope that I may be able to pinpoint my Great Uncles details. After searching for a while I decided to adopt 2 people with the relevant names from the same regiment of the surviving Great Uncle. I ordered their death certs which didnt confirm anything new. Within a few days I then emailed the loca registry office and just asked for them to confirm that these 2 men had the same parents. They suggested that I brought their birth certs, but i didnt want to do this and told them all I wanted was to know they shared the same parents and gave the suspected parents names. They then wrote back saying that as I had given them all the details, they could confirm that the 2 gentlemen were the sons of the parents I named. I then managed to find a picture of a memorial stone to one of them and then contacted www.wargraves.org.uk about having a picture of the memorial to the other brother. Today I have received this picture. Therefore the motto of this story is never give up. Oh i forgot to say my Great Uncles have the surname SMITH!!!

Fi aka Wheelie Spice

Fi aka Wheelie Spice Report 3 Jun 2007 18:11

I was aware that 2 of my Great Uncles died in WW1.

Frances in Norwich

Frances in Norwich Report 3 Jun 2007 21:51

Hi Fi, We have spoken before about our elusive Smith ancestors. I, too have a great uncle, George Smith, who died in WW1 and was lucky enough to get confirmation from the CWG site of his parents names. We are hoping to visit Belgium later this year to visit his grave, he was buried in LIJSSENTHOEK Cemetary, Poperinge, where were your gt uncles buried? Frances

Fi aka Wheelie Spice

Fi aka Wheelie Spice Report 3 Jun 2007 22:20

Hi Frances, I have one Great uncle with a memorial at Lesbouef and another whose name is on the Thiepval Monument. Fi

Frances in Norwich

Frances in Norwich Report 3 Jun 2007 22:26

There has been a lot in the press lately about the Battles around Ypres. It makes you realise how awful it was and what they must have suffered. My gt.uncle died 90yrs ago today. Frances