Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Pelling Hotham/n McCarthy bn 1891 - where art thou

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Bo

Bo Report 2 Jun 2007 12:35

see message below

Bo

Bo Report 2 Jun 2007 12:43

Last recorded sighting 1901 census at school in Brighton. (1891 census he is 8 days old and in St Leonards with his mother and grandparents. His sister Inez in 1901 is with their grandmother in St Leonards.) But after that I'm drawing blanks everywhere for him - and with a name like Pelling Hotham/n McCarthy there can't be too many places to hide surely??. I’ve looked on: findmypast ships passengers and military cwgc freebmd google National archives (with his name) IGI Fresh eyes would be gratefully received as to where he might have got. I’ve got to go off line until later but all help is much appreciated. Harriet

Julie

Julie Report 2 Jun 2007 12:50

Harriet Sorry not sure what you are after. Have you looked for a marriage for him

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 2 Jun 2007 14:02

I think your most likely chance of finding anything is to search the marriage index....the FULL records, not freebmd transcripts. http://www.ancestry(.)co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=8965 Omit brackets when pasting to your browser........ Reg

Bo

Bo Report 3 Jun 2007 18:10

Thankd Reg and Julie - I'll look for a marriage on the full list - I didn't realise that it was different to the free list. Harriet

Bo

Bo Report 15 Jun 2007 13:53

His father was a mining engineer and had taken his wife and son to S Africa in the late 1890s. Pelling had a terrible riding accident (horse bolted but his foot got stuck in the stirrup). His parents thought he was dead - his father poked his thumb into his son's eye and got no response - but amazingly after 1/2hr his father heard a sigh. Pelling recovered but unknown to them he had factured his skull which resulted in him having fits. His father recounts in his book of 'Futher incidents of a mining engineer' (an amazing read) that Pelling was a very sad invalid. This was 1919. In 1920 Pelling died aged 31.

Marie

Marie Report 15 Jun 2007 16:54

Well the 1911 census when it comes will tell you more.... unless he was still in S. Africa then. Have you tried A2a or Googled his name with South Africa beside it. Did he die here or in S. Africa? M

Bo

Bo Report 15 Jun 2007 16:57

His death is registered in Church Stretton which I think is Shropshire. I'm going to order his death cert. In 1911 he would have been in the UK as according to his father's book he suffered from fits - but I'd be interested to see who he is with.