Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Please can someone help me with a Marriage cert pr

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jane

Jane Report 31 May 2007 16:23

Hi Please could someone check on Ancestry for a marriage between Jane Crawforth and John Gray Dec quarter 1873. I sent for the marriage cert at Patrington, Yorkshire Registry Office and they can't find it. Please can someone check to see that I have the information correct. Someone sometime ago said that their Jane Crawforth married a John Gray so I think I have the right marriage. Thanks for your help Jane

jen yorkshire

jen yorkshire Report 31 May 2007 16:25

John Gray Year of Registration: 1873 Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec DISTRICT: Patrington County: Yorkshire - East Riding Volume: 9d Page: 549 (click to see others on page) Jane Ann Crawforth 1873 Oct-Nov-Dec Patrington Yorkshire - East Riding

jen yorkshire

jen yorkshire Report 31 May 2007 16:26

these are all on the page Jane Ann Crawforth 1873 Oct-Nov-Dec Patrington Yorkshire - East Riding View Record Mart Tabitha Flucker 1873 Oct-Nov-Dec Patrington Yorkshire - East Riding View Record Mary Tabitha Flucker 1873 Oct-Nov-Dec Patrington Yorkshire - East Riding View Record John Gray 1873 Oct-Nov-Dec Patrington Yorkshire - East Riding View Record David Charles B Witthames 1873 Oct-Nov-Dec Patrington Yorkshire

Jane

Jane Report 31 May 2007 16:27

Thanks for that Jennifer. Strange that the registry office couldn't find it. Guess I will have go to the GRO for it and see what they say. All the best Jane

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 31 May 2007 16:28

1881 seems to confirm the pairings............. Name: David C.B. Witthames Age: 1 Estimated birth year: abt 1880 Relation: Son Father's name: David C.B. Mother's name: Mary J. Gender: Male Where born: Coatham, Yorkshire, England Civil parish: Seaton Carew County/Island: Durham Country: England Street address: Crawford Street Education: Employment status: View image Registration district: Hartlepool Sub-registration district: Hartlepool ED, institution, or vessel: 7 Neighbors: View others on page Household Members: Name Age David C.B. Witthames 42 David C.B. Witthames 1 Margaret H. Witthames 4 Mary J. Witthames 40 Thomas Lacey Witthames 3 Reg

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 31 May 2007 16:29

If you quoted GRO refs, the local office wouldn't recognise them......... The marriage was registered in Yorkshire............. Reg

Jane

Jane Report 31 May 2007 16:35

HI Reg You've confused me now who is David C.B. Witthames ? I requested the certificate for John Gray and Jane Crawforth over the phone. I gave them the year the Quarter place of registration and John's fathers name. I have just spoken to them again and they said Patrington was a big Place and they could not find the marriage. I got the original detatils off of FreeBMD. Sorry my mistake I should have written Yorkshire not Lincs. Thanks for your help Jane

KeithInFujairah

KeithInFujairah Report 31 May 2007 16:40

Jane, the census that Reg posted just confirms that the other pair on the list did infact marry each other, so your pair did marry.

Jane

Jane Report 31 May 2007 16:43

Thanks Keith Sorry I must be really stupid, I should have worked that out. All the best Jane

Ajwyorks

Ajwyorks Report 31 May 2007 16:56

When asking a local office for a marriage cert you really need to give them the place they were married ie the church, chapel etc. Otherwise you are asking them to go through the registers for each establishment until they find what you want. Marriages are filed by place they don't have an index like the GRO. Have you seen how many different parishes there are in the Patrington district?

Jane

Jane Report 31 May 2007 17:01

Thanks Andrea I had no idea how many parishes there were in Patrington. I do now though lots. All the best jane