Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

church poor records /suffolk

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Yvette

Yvette Report 31 May 2007 16:00

sorry if this is in the wrong place. A while ago on the bbc's WDYTYA with Jeremy Paxman, he ended up in suffolk looking at some church records which listed the aid they gave to the poor. My ancestors came from almost the next village Saxtead. They left suffolk for london between 1866-1870 i am guessing for work, but i wondered if they had been very poor and needed aid which would have helped in there decision to go. Does this ring a bell with anyone, or any ideas who to contact. Thanks yvette

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 31 May 2007 18:27

If anything does exist, it will almost certainly be in the County Records by now - give them a ring and find out. OC

Ross

Ross Report 31 May 2007 18:31

i remember watching that one because he went along and it said about how the named man went every week for money etc. it also spoke about the organized boat trip up to Manchester which i think was where the family went in that case and the jobs already there for them at the other end. i should certainly ask about it at you local record office. they'll at least point you in the right direction. Ross

Yvette

Yvette Report 31 May 2007 20:16

hi everyone, thanks for your replies, i dont know why i didn't think about calling the record office. I think i have tried them before and emailed them but never got any response thats probably why i didn't think of it, will give them a ring though thanks yvette