Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Scottish relatives

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

DeeDickens

DeeDickens Report 31 May 2007 10:39

I have spent a happy year tracing my mother's family back through 10 generations and finding her last surviving sister! However now I have decided to look at my deceased father's Scottish family I am struggling! I have an Ancestry subscription & membership on here, but my budget won't stretch to buying stacks of certificates or searches on Scotland's people. Are there any free sources of details of Scottish births, marriages etc?It's great that Scottish censuses are now on Ancestry, but how do I move forward from 1901, to find 20th Century ancestors and living relatives? Any advice appreciated!! Denise

DeeDickens

DeeDickens Report 31 May 2007 20:02

Thanks for that info Joan! Can anyone else help at all? And is there anyone out there who lives in Calderbank, Airdrie? D

motherhen

motherhen Report 31 May 2007 22:58

Hi Denise Meant to add that you can view Births on Scotlandspeople upto 1906,Marriages upto 1931 and Deaths upto 1956. After these dates you need to go to New Register House to view the records and you can note the details. Hope this helps Diana

motherhen

motherhen Report 31 May 2007 23:00

Hi Denise I stay an hour away from Airdrie and at present I am researching my family who were from there.Next time I am there If you would like a picture of somewhere I could get it for you but it might be July before I can go. I also use Airdrie Library which has some good sources if you want me to look something up for you. Scotlandspeople is a great site but I agree it is expensive but once you have downloaded the image you have it for ever and I still think it is cheaper than GRO in England.If you can possibly visit New Register House in Edinburgh you can get copies of certificates for 50p - I go about twice a year and have a great day getting certificates. Regards Diana

DeeDickens

DeeDickens Report 1 Jun 2007 00:25

Thanks Diana! Interesting that you can only get births up to 1906, because you can get english births online right up to present day almost! In that case I would definitely need a certificate of my father's birth as that was in 1919. I will pm you my email address and perhaps you could let me know when you are going to get certs?! Denise

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 1 Jun 2007 01:17

Diana where can you get English Certs on line???? Or do you mean the indexes? OC

motherhen

motherhen Report 1 Jun 2007 07:42

Hi OC Sorry didn't get back to you but I had gone to bed. I think you might have picked me up wrong when I said I thought Scotlandspeople was cheaper to download than GRO. I did not mean you can get English certificates online just that you can download copies of Scottish cetificates instead of sending to GRO. Hope this makes sense. Sorry about any confusion caused Diana