Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

St.George in the East.Tower Hamlets expert please!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Irene

Irene Report 28 May 2007 09:11

I have a very badly written marriage certificate that I think must have taken place Nov.1850 at the parish church St.George reg. district St.George in the East. Have search the net for the church and it looks like it was in Canon Street. The 2 streets where the bride and groom lived are Catherine Road?? and Upper Fenton St ??. and I would like to check the occupants of those address (needle in a haystack I think) as I just cannot find the bride and groom in the 1851 census. Any help would be much appreciated. Regards Irene

Angela now in Wilts (not North Devon)

Angela now in Wilts (not North Devon) Report 28 May 2007 09:29

Irene Can you post their names/their fathers'names & occupations please? I don't think you can search the 1851 by address (not on Ancestry anyway). Angela

Irene

Irene Report 28 May 2007 09:32

Yes Gary looking again it could be Upper Fenton St. Can you please tel me where it is. Many thanks Irene

Irene

Irene Report 28 May 2007 09:34

Thanks Gary I tried 1851 census and it looks like it is broken down into 3 areas - St.John. St,Mary and St.Paul and St.George itself is not one of the areas unless I have looked at it wrong. Regards and thanks Irene

Irene

Irene Report 28 May 2007 09:35

Thank you Angela but I have looked and looked on Ancestry and they refuse to be found. Thomas Robert Miles born Surrey 1829 (baptised at Lambeth) I have him in the other census. His wife is Hannah born St.George in the East 1829 Many thanks Irene

Heather

Heather Report 28 May 2007 12:46

Have you looked over the river for them. It may be they just married in the wifes parish and then went back to south of the river to live.

Heather

Heather Report 28 May 2007 13:14

Are you sure that they married before the 1851? Is Thomas a Wheelwright? 1851 - in Camberwell with mum and dad and unmarried? Name Age John Miles 55 Maria Miles 55 Thomas Miles 23 Ah, got the marriage - is this it? Hannah Smith? Marriages Dec 1850 (>99%) -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Bird John St George E 2 104 Earl Frances St Geo East 2 104 HEAD Eliza St Geo East 2 104 Holmes John St. George E. 2 104 Matthews Susannah Catherine St Geo East 2 104 >>>>Miles Thomas Robert St Geo East 2 104 Percy Joseph St Geo East 2 104 >>>>Smith Hannah St Geo. East 2 104 Unfotunately it may be that they are in an area where the pages are missing for the 1851.

Irene

Irene Report 28 May 2007 13:49

Thanks Heather have looked everywhere for them. Yes that is the marriage and I have a copy of the cert. Thomas lived at Mile End area before his marriage and in the later census so perhaps you are right that the census page is missing. I tried to find 27 Upper Fenton Street. St. George in the East in the 1851 census where Thomas lived at the time of his marriage to see who lived at the address but after searching for 3 hours I asked for help on this board. Many thanks for your time, much appreciated. Irene

Heather

Heather Report 28 May 2007 14:56

Just a thought Irene - though they dont seem to be on ancestry - the people at Tower Hamlets records office have been VERY accommodating to me in the past re look ups (long before the 1851 was on line!). It may be worth emailing them with your query in case they have the people on their own lists. I know when I first spoke to them they were transcribing their own stuff. Worth a shot, nothing ventured and all that ...........

Heather

Heather Report 28 May 2007 15:01

Ive had the same thing looking for some of my east enders - I think some kind soul looked on find my past (pay to view) for me and the address just wasnt there - there was a gap where about 20 houses had been lost and wouldnt you know my lot was amongs them!

Irene

Irene Report 28 May 2007 15:28

Thanks Heather I may see if he left a will. He died 1897 and his wife is living on her own means 1901 so he may have left her some money. Thank you for your help.As is has been such a miserable day I decided to spend all day on my tree today and sad to say after all this time have nothing to add on this family. Regards Irene

Heather

Heather Report 28 May 2007 16:30

Spend a bit of time on National Archives, The Times Digital and London Gazette - I found TONS of stuff on my lines yesterday on a 15 hours stint on here - LOL

Irene

Irene Report 28 May 2007 22:20

Thank you Helen. Regards Irene

☺Carol in Dulwich☺

☺Carol in Dulwich☺ Report 28 May 2007 22:25

List of parishes on the 1898-9 Booth Poverty Map From this page you can... Search the map for modern streets Search the map for postcodes Search the map for modern wards Search the map for 1898 landmarks Search the map for 1898 parishes Return to home page Search for parish church: TIP: Just enter the name of the church (eg St Jude) Parish Deanery Search for in catalogue East City St George View on map Search for in catalogue East City

☺Carol in Dulwich☺

☺Carol in Dulwich☺ Report 28 May 2007 22:35

Victorian London Streets: Upper Fenton Street, Christ Church, ST GEORGE IN THE EAST

☺Carol in Dulwich☺

☺Carol in Dulwich☺ Report 28 May 2007 22:47

On a modern map Christ Church St George in the East is situated between clinic street and the highway, to the right is dellow street and to the left B108 also it is just abve Tobacco Dock.

Irene

Irene Report 29 May 2007 07:41

Thank you Carol I tried looking through the census pages for Upper Fenton Street but St.George is broken down into 3 districts and I cannot find it yet!!!!!! Many thanks Irene