Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Inspiration needed...

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jim The Ferret

Jim The Ferret Report 27 May 2007 19:19

I have some WW1 artfacts (cap badges, dog tags, etc) which relate to a William Winter. I would love to be able to return these to his family but I'm stuck finding anyone. I'm hoping to find them through Ancestry or.... William Henry E Winter was registered Q4 1887 in Wycombe (Bucks) William Ernest H Winter (believe same person) married Q2 1909 in Wycombe. Wife's name shown as Barbara Jane SIMBLAIR. This seems to be a mistranscription since 1901 census shows nobody with this surname. Have tried Sinclair without success. At some stage before 1933, they moved to Slough. Can anybody guess the right name or find any contacts. I wait hopefully Jim

Jim The Ferret

Jim The Ferret Report 27 May 2007 19:21

formattted message follows

Angela now in Wilts (not North Devon)

Angela now in Wilts (not North Devon) Report 27 May 2007 21:08

Jim Could this be her? Births Jun 1888 (>99%) -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- >>>>>BLAIR Barbara Jane S Marylebone 1a 559 BRIDGEMAN Barbara Jane Lichfield 6b 457 DONOGHUE Barbara Jane Tynemouth 10b 268 HOLT Barbara Jane Barrow F. 8e 834 JOHNSON Barbara Jane Middlesbro 9d 535 JOHNSON Barbara Jane Middlesbro' 9d 585 ROBERTS Barbara Jane Llanrwst 11b 351 SCHNEIDER Barbara Jane Lambeth 1d 400 >>>>>>SIM-BLAIR Barbara Jane Marylebone 1a 559 STORY Barbara Jane Wigton 10b 550

Angela now in Wilts (not North Devon) Report 27 May 2007 21:26

Possible birth of father - census said born Enfield: Births Mar 1863 (>99%) -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- BLAIR William Simm Edmonton 3a 156 As Gary says, not sure how the historical stuff will help really! Angela

Angela now in Wilts (not North Devon) Report 27 May 2007 21:29

Found a different Barbara Blair in the 1901 census, born Middlesex, mother born in Wycombe, Bucks. Rosetta Blair Age: 38 Estimated birth year: abt 1863 Relation: Wife Spouse's name: William S Gender: Female Where born: Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, England Civil parish: Byker Ecclesiastical parish: St Anthony Town: Newcastle Upon Tyne County/Island: Northumberland Country: England Street address: Occupation: Condition as to marriage: Education: Employment status: View image Registration district: Newcastle upon Tyne Sub-registration district: Byker ED, institution, or vessel: 29 Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 5 Household Members: Name Age >>>>Barbara Blair 13 Dairy Blair 2 Harrietta Blair 10 Reginald Blair 5 Rosetta Blair 38 William Blair 8 William S Blair 38 Angela

Jim The Ferret

Jim The Ferret Report 27 May 2007 22:09

Apologies for slow response - had to deal with minor flood in garden. I'm surprised and very grateful for all the results. I have one other clue to follow up -- a letter dated February 1933 from New Zealand. It's addressed to Bab abd Bill and signed 'Yours Sincere Bro Stuart B. So I guess I am looking for Brian Blair now. Here goes ... Jim

Angela now in Wilts (not North Devon) Report 27 May 2007 22:14

Good Luck Jim Please let us know how you get on... Angela

Angela now in Wilts (not North Devon) Report 27 May 2007 22:28

And here he is in 1871. Looks like William Simm Blair's brother: Jane Blair Age: 36 Estimated birth year: abt 1835 Relation: Head Mother's name: Barbary S Gender: Female Where born: Newcastle, Northumberland, England Civil parish: Enfield Ecclesiastical parish: St Andrew County/Island: Middlesex Country: England Street address: Occupation: Condition as to marriage: Disability: View image Registration district: Edmonton Sub-registration district: Enfield ED, institution, or vessel: 1 Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 163 Household Members: Name Age Ann S Blair 14 Barbary S Blair 3 Barbary S Blair 61 Jane Blair 36 Louisa F S Blair 5 Robert S S Blair 6 >>>>>Stewart S Blair 9 William S Blair 8 Angela

ValT

ValT Report 27 May 2007 22:48

Hi IMHO I think Bro Stuart B is Barbara's brother and he could be the Reginald on the 1901 Census for Byker. Sep 1895 a Stuart Reginald S Blair was born in Windsor and on the 1901 Reginald Blair 5 is down as being born in Berks Windsor. Therefore the 1901 family seems to be the right family. Found this marriage which is the beginning of the Simm-Blairs I believe. Marriages Dec 1855 BLAIR John Gateshead 10a 742 SIMM Jane Gateshead 10a 742 Babara senior 1867 , Stuart senior 1861 and William Simm Blair were the children of John and Jane. Val