Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1841 Census Look-Up Please? - Yippee - Traced - Bi

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Suzy-in-the-Skye

Suzy-in-the-Skye Report 26 May 2007 17:14

Hi, would it be possible to ask for a look-up please for the following person on the 1841 census? Caroline Orton b.circa 1838 & lvg in the Durham area. I would like to know who her parents are listed as, & if any other people in the household. Many thanks, best regards, Suzy.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 26 May 2007 17:16

This one? Name: Caroline Orton Age: 3 Estimated birth year: abt 1838 Gender: Female Where born: Durham, England Civil parish: Bishop Wearmouth Hundred: Easington (North Division) County/Island: Durham Country: England Registration district: Sunderland Sub-registration district: Bishop Wearmouth South Neighbors: View others on page Household Members: Name Age Caroline Orton 3 Mary J Orton 20 Reginald Orton 30 Reginald Orton 2 Reg

Suzy-in-the-Skye

Suzy-in-the-Skye Report 26 May 2007 17:19

Thanks Reg, sadly it was not the one I was hoping for, but grateful thanks for looking anyway. Best regards, Suzy.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 26 May 2007 17:19

Half of the same family in 1851......... Name: Reginald Orton Age: 12 Estimated birth year: abt 1839 Relation: Son Father's name: Reginald Gender: Male Where born: Bishop Wearmouth, Durham, England Civil parish: Bishopwearmouth Ecclesiastical parish: St Thomas Town: Sunderland County/Island: Durham Country: England Registration district: Sunderland Sub-registration district: South Bishop Wearmouth ED, institution, or vessel: 1i Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 124 Household Members: Name Age Thomas Davison 20 Reginald Orton 40 b. East Indies Reginald Orton 12 Jane Spraggon 22 Ann Watson 23 Reginald snr is listed as 'married' Reg

Suzy-in-the-Skye

Suzy-in-the-Skye Report 26 May 2007 17:25

Once again Reg, I think I'm on totally the wrong track with this family. Too many Orton's listed but can't seem to find the one I want. Really Looking for Virgilia Orton b.1814 Richmond, Yks & her husband Henry Orton b. circa 1809 in Elwick, Durham. They married in 1836 in Bishopwearmouth. The girl's name of Caroline has thrown me off track, as Caroline is a family name in Virgilia's family (of Simonetti) so I thought I had found them. thanks again, Suzy.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 26 May 2007 17:29

1851???? Name: Henry Orton Age: 42 Estimated birth year: abt 1809 Relation: Son-in-law Gender: Male Where born: Elwick, Durham, England Civil parish: Richmond Town: Richmond County/Island: Yorkshire Country: England Registration district: Richmond Sub-registration district: Richmond ED, institution, or vessel: 5c Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 105 Household Members: Name Age Henry Orton 42 William Orton 44 Emma Simmonette 22 Mary Simmonette 76 Mary A Simmonette 17 Reg

Suzy-in-the-Skye

Suzy-in-the-Skye Report 26 May 2007 17:32

That's him Reg, he shows up in Richmond with his Mother in law Mary Simmonette, just after Virgilia's death in the Mar Qtr of 1851 in Richmond. I think he must have taken her back to Richmond to be buried. He is shown as a widower on 1851. Still cant find them on the 1841 anywhere??? Thanks - Suzy

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 26 May 2007 17:35

I can't see any of them in 1841..............sorry Reg

Suzy-in-the-Skye

Suzy-in-the-Skye Report 26 May 2007 17:39

Me neither, I have searched far & wide for them for months all to no avail. Looks like I'm back to the drawing board again. Many thanks for all your help once again, best wishes, Suzy.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 26 May 2007 18:30

RG number:HO107 Piece:309 Folio:1\34 Page:18 Registration District:Sunderland Sub District:Bishop Wearmouth, South EnumerationDistrict: Ecclesiastical Parish: Civil Parish:Bishop Wearmouth Municipal Borough:Sunderland Address:Cousin Street, North Side, Bishop Wearmouth, Sunderland ORTON, Henry M 30 ORTON, Virgelia F 25 Also family with the surname of Philip Maureen

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 26 May 2007 18:39

1841 version from Ancestry Name: Wigelian Arton Age: 20 Estimated birth year: abt 1821 Gender: Female Where born: Durham, England Civil parish: Bishop Wearmouth Hundred: Easington (North Division) County/Island: Durham Country: England Street address: Occupation: View image Registration district: Sunderland Sub-registration district: Bishop Wearmouth South Neighbors: View others on page Household Members: Name Age Henny Arton 30 Wigelian Arton 20 Maureen

Angela now in Wilts (not North Devon)

Angela now in Wilts (not North Devon) Report 26 May 2007 19:05

Maureen How on earth did you find that? Well done! I don't know if Suzy has this, but it looks like Virgilia's mum & dad in 1841. Mary Sirmwnetti Age: 63 Estimated birth year: abt 1778 Gender: Female Where born: Yorkshire, England Civil parish: Richmond Hundred: Richmond Borough County/Island: Yorkshire Country: England Street address: Occupation: View image Registration district: Richmond Sub-registration district: Richmond Neighbors: View others on page Household Members: Name Age Elizabeth Serimwnetti 30 Emma Serimwnetti 13 Jeff Ann Serimwnetti 4 Joseph Serimwnetti 66 Mary Ann Serimwnetti 7 Mary Sirmwnetti 63 Angela

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 26 May 2007 22:27

Angela, I found the entry on Findmypast - came up first time - but mistranscribed on Ancestry. Maureen

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 27 May 2007 22:10

n

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 27 May 2007 22:45

I sent Suzy a PM last night.........suggesting she should check her thread........ Perhaps she's away for the BH weekend........ Reg

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 28 May 2007 00:23

I sent Suzy a pm about 10 mins after I posted the info saying to check her thread as I had found the family as she might have thought the thread was finished. Maureen

Suzy-in-the-Skye

Suzy-in-the-Skye Report 28 May 2007 11:00

Hi Maureen, Reg & Angela, sorry for the delay in getting back to you, but yes I have been away & only just got back on line to check my messages. Thank you so much Maureen for locating Virgilia & Henry on the 1841. I never thought I'd find them. This is a great breakthrough for me. Sad to see that there are no children with them though. I thought she might have had a least one child since her marriage in 1836. Angela, re the other family. Yes it is Virgilia's parents & the surname was also mistranscribed. I had found them previously and have copies of the originals, but still I would like to thank you for your time & effort. Reg, once again thanks for your help too. I cannot thank you folks enough; everything you do to help is most appreciated. Best wishes, Suzy.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 28 May 2007 11:07

Hi Suzy, I hope you did not mind the pm but sometimes members think the thread is finished and do not check it again. Good luck with the research. Maureen

Suzy-in-the-Skye

Suzy-in-the-Skye Report 28 May 2007 11:11

Hi Maureen, no I did not mind at all, & you are right I would have thought my thread had finished so I certainly welcomed the pm from you & also one from Reg too. Thanks again, Suzy.