Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

pub directories/street directories-help needed ple

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Familyfinder

Familyfinder Report 26 May 2007 14:19

Hi Myfamily tell me my great grans brother was the landlord at our local pub in the 1940's and 50's. He was known as Dick Hooper. The only problem is we know who the family where and all the names etc-but ther just isn't a 'Dick' Hooper! His Parents were Maria and Frederick hooper and they lived at Monmouth Street,Topsham,Exeter Devon -they are there in the 1891 census and before and stil in 1901-But no 'Dick' . (Siblings,alice,Lily,James,William (Billy/Willie),Eveline,Frank,Albert/Bertie and Jim Selina,Ernest and more! There were quite a few sons and my mum didn't recognise knowing the name Bertie or Ernest so maybe this was 'Dick' Can anyone help me find the Lord Nelson INN,Topsham <devon in any directory that wil give his name-hoping it will say something other than 'Dick' to clear this up!-There were no Dick Hoopers or Richards born in Topsham at all. Only one in Heavitree Exeter-but he's been linked to another Family (Parents Maria and Richard). Thanks to anyone who can help.

Devon Dweller

Devon Dweller Report 26 May 2007 16:44

www.historicaldirectories.org go up to about 1910 but might be worth a look. Sheila

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 26 May 2007 17:36

You could try the local library for Electoral Registers ....If it is a small library and don't have them they will point you in the right direction. The only thing is that they weren't taken for the years 1940 - 1944 so fingers crossed your man was also there either before or after those years. Chris

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 26 May 2007 17:43

Another thought.... Was he a tenant or owner? If a tenant then the brewery may have an archive. Of course the original brewery may not now exist but the records could have been passed on to who ever took it over down the years. The local record office may also have info....Worth a phone call :) Chris

Heather

Heather Report 26 May 2007 17:56

You could try to see if local archives have his application for a licence. Google to see if their is a pub history society in the area. Ive just found some nice pics of the pub by googling.

Familyfinder

Familyfinder Report 27 May 2007 18:23

tHANKS ALL-tRIED hISTORICAL DIRECTORIES BUT HE WASN;T THERE THEN! hAVE EMAILED THE RECORDS OFICE AND WILL HAVE TO WAIT AND SEE-tHABKS FOR IDEAS.