Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Plunkett family

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susan

Susan Report 22 May 2007 19:22

bear with me pls...

Susan

Susan Report 22 May 2007 19:23

Hi there...I'd just like to pick a few brains pls. I'm looking for details of the following family :- James Plunkett born c1833 in ?? Ireland who married (date ??) Mary ?? born c1827 in ???. They had 2 sons John born c1853 and James born c1856 unable to find birth certs for James & Mary 'cos they are pre 1837. unable to find marriage cert 'cos don't have Mary's maiden name. unable to find either sons birth registered. The only thing I do know is that James Sr was a corporal then sgt in the 88th regiment of foot (but is this military info complete?) Can someone pls point me in the right direction or confirm I'm flogging a dead horse on this one as these people are driving me nuts !! Thanks Sue

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 22 May 2007 19:51

Where were the sons born? How do you know about them? Are they on a UK census? Reg

Sue C

Sue C Report 22 May 2007 19:53

Where did you find the information regarding James Snr's wife and sons? Sue

Susan

Susan Report 22 May 2007 20:12

Sorry, forgot to say.... John is listed as being born in about 5 different locations throughout his life but managed to keep track by his army regiment and known children Sue

Susan

Susan Report 22 May 2007 20:17

Thanks for your time on this.... John b1853 is the direct descendant and have managed to trace him back through the census reports to 1861 where I found him with parents James and Ellen. Found Ellen's maiden name as her sister was living with them. This led me to their marriage cert dated 1860 which shows that James was a widower when he married Ellen in Colchester and that he was a corporal in the 88th regt of foot. So decided to look back for a female Plunkett death in Colchester and found one for Mary Plunkett dated 1859. Sent of for the death cert and she was indeed married to a James Plunkett who was a corporal in the 88th regt of foot and that she was 32 when she died. This is as far back as I can find. Sue

Sue C

Sue C Report 22 May 2007 20:23

So this is the family in 1861. Ellen is stepmother to James and John. Name: James Plunkett Age: 28 Estimated birth year: abt 1833 Relation: Head Spouse's name: Ellen Gender: Male Where born: Ireland Civil parish: Colchester St Botolph County/Island: Essex Country: England Street address: Occupation: Condition as to marriage: View image Registration district: Colchester Sub-registration district: Colchester First Ward ED, institution, or vessel: Colchester Infantry Barracks Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 1 Household Members: Name Age Caroline Jordon 19 Ellen Plunkett 24 James Plunkett 28 James Plunkett 5 John Plunkett 10

Susan

Susan Report 22 May 2007 20:30

Hi Sue C Yep thats them... Sue

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 22 May 2007 20:36

Birth registration wasn't compulsory until 1875..........BUT.....I'm not sure that military personnel would have got away with it. Have you checked the Army births on findmypast? Reg

Susan

Susan Report 22 May 2007 20:50

Hi Margaret Thanks for looking... thats interesting as on James' marriage cert for 1860 it lists his father as James Plunkett sr. Does it give any occupations as James Sr was noted as a butcher Sue

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 22 May 2007 20:52

Sue, have you ever seen him referred to as James Gill Plunkett? This is a stab in the dark but on the BVRI discs there's a marriage of Jame Gill Plunkett and Mary Anne Swan, 2 Jan.1851, Cork, Ireland. Husband's father is James Plunkett, wife's father Daniel Swan. Margaret

Susan

Susan Report 22 May 2007 20:55

Hi Reg I previously put a request on the tips board. One person said that the army registrations on contained overseas births (not sure thats right cos some of my other lot born in Colchester are on there) but one kind lady looked between 1850 & 1860 but couldn't find anything. Johns full name is John Augustus Plunkett so that would kind of stick out like the proverbial sore thumb ! Sue

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 22 May 2007 21:53

Sorry, Sue, no occupation given. What I gave was all that was there, not even their ages. Margaret

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 22 May 2007 21:56

I'd like to bet that John was born in Ireland........ Reg

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 22 May 2007 22:26

I'm not sure if you know but the 88th foot were the Connaught Rangers & fought in a number of engagements your James would have been involved in such as Crimea & the Indian Mutiny. Just thought it might be a lead. Ozi.

Susan

Susan Report 23 May 2007 20:25

Thanks all for your input... Reggie....sound like you may be right. According to the census reports from 1861 to 1901 he was born in Winchester, Lancaster, Taunton & Colchester ! Margaret....thanks for looking will keep this one on file just in case. Ozi.....might see if I can find any info on his army career. Does anyone know if his army records would show his place of birth...that would at least be a start Sue