Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Records from WWII - advice needed....

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jenny

Jenny Report 20 May 2007 13:33

Hi I wonder if anyone could help me... I have been looking into my partners family tree for a while now and last night while he was drunk (always the best time to get all the info - other times he gets bored easily) he was telling me about the war and about his great uncle. His great uncle served on what I believe to be a torpedo boat in WWII and one day his best friend got blown up in front of him by a shell, and eventually (not sure about the time frame involved) but the ship was sunk. His uncle had joined the Navy without being able to swim and some how managed to survive the sinking. I would love to know more about the ship he served on to add to the family tree. Trouble is he was very traumatised by the events that happened on the ship and we cant ask him any more because any trigger could bring back the nightmares he suffered. Any ideas how I can find out more. Ideally by searching online as I am pretty restricted at present and would not be able to visit any where. Thanks Jenny

Heather

Heather Report 20 May 2007 13:54

Youd need to know the name of the ship, when/where etc.and then just google search.

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 21 May 2007 17:34

Hello Jenny. do you know the friend`s name, if so, you can look him up on the War Graves site, it will give details of the ship and what happened on their Roll of Honour. Regards Yvonne

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 21 May 2007 17:50

You did not acknowledge help given to you on your other thread. It would be polite to do so.

Jenny

Jenny Report 13 Jun 2007 15:23

Unfortuantly I do not know his friends name even and as its too risky to bring this up in conversation maybe its something best left to the unknown. Thanks everyone.