Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Canterbury PRs look up Please around 1799

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Julie

Julie Report 16 May 2007 12:32

Can anyone with access to Canterbury, Kent Prs possibly look for a William Gillman born between 1799 and 1802 On the 1851 census (the only one I find him on) he has his birthplace written as Bath St Canterbury. Can anyone confirm please and any other info most gratefully received. Cheers Essex Prs can be done in return. Julie

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 16 May 2007 12:42

1841 census Tower Hamlets, Bethnall Green, Middlesex Willm. Gillman, 40, tin plate w. Elizer, 40 Willm., 15, tin plate w. Mary, 14 Maria, 12 Henrietta, 6 Sarah, 2 Children all born in county, parents not.

jen yorkshire

jen yorkshire Report 16 May 2007 12:44

poss? 1841 Henrietta Gillman Age: 6 Estimated birth year: abt 1835 Gender: Female Where born: Middlesex, England Civil parish: Bethnal Green Hundred: Ossulstone (Tower Division) County/Island: Middlesex Country: England Street address: coopers gardens, a tin plate ?? (2 letters i cant make out). i see the 1851 hes a tinner and brazier Occupation: View image Registration district: Bethnal Green Sub-registration district: Hackney Road Neighbors: View others on page Household Members: Name Age Elizer Gillman 40 Henrietta Gillman 6 James Gillman 8 Maria Gillman 12 Mary Gillman 14 Sarah Gillman 2 Willm Gillman 40 Willm Gillman 15

Julie

Julie Report 16 May 2007 12:48

thanks Jen Yes that is her with her parents, and on the 1851 census they put their birthplace as canterbury. I am trying to confirm this.

jen yorkshire

jen yorkshire Report 16 May 2007 12:50

1851 birth place for james and henrietta and esther is just london mddsx, and it does say bath st canterbury for william and eliza.

Sue C

Sue C Report 16 May 2007 12:51

Could he have moved by 1861? Names and occupation seem to tally. Sex Age Profession/Occupation Disability Where Born Standard image High quality image -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- GILLMAN, William Head Married M 64 Tinplate Worker ... ... VIEW VIEW GILLMAN, Eliza Wife Married F 61 ... Gloucestershire VIEW VIEW GILLMAN, Esther Daughter F 14 Bishopsgate London VIEW VIEW -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- RG number: RG09 Piece: 212 Folio: 108 Page: 41 Registration District: East London Sub District: 1 St Botolph EnumerationDistrict: 16 Ecclesiastical Parish: Civil Parish: St Boltolph Bishopsgate Municipal Borough: London Address: 3, Catherine Wheel Alley, St Boltolph Bishopsgate, London

Julie

Julie Report 16 May 2007 12:52

Cheers Sue So does that mean they have moved to Gloucestershire in 1861? Interesting. Does it give their birthplaces on that census. Thank you I tried looking on the 1861 census myself with the folio and pg number but \i still can;t find it!!!!

Julie

Julie Report 16 May 2007 13:07

How Odd On the 1851 census on Ancestry they had both put their birth place as Canterbury Bath St!! Now I don;t know where to look!! Thanks for trying to help me Sue.

jen yorkshire

jen yorkshire Report 16 May 2007 13:10

this is how ancestry has transcribed them in 1861 how do they expect us to find anyone, Esther Zillman Age: 51 Estimated birth year: abt 1810 Relation: Daughter Father's name: William Mother's name: Eliza Gender: Female Where born: Bishopsgate, London, England Civil parish: St Botolph Without Bishopsgate County/Island: Middlesex Country: England Street address: Occupation: Condition as to marriage: View image Registration district: East London Sub-registration district: St Botolph ED, institution, or vessel: 16 Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 226 Household Members: Name Age Eliza Zillman 61 Esther Zillman 51 William Zillman 64 the image is very faint,says he was a tinplate maker,he was down as b canterbury and eliza as gloustershire,esther as london bishopgate, cencus page does say gillman. esthers age is wrong because someone has kind of guessed what the age says on the form.

Sue C

Sue C Report 16 May 2007 13:11

Hi Julie, No sorry they were still in London. According to the transcription Eliza was born Gloucester, but no birthplace for William. This is on findmypast and unfortunately when I click to see the image to check, I get completely the wrong page and area. Sue

Julie

Julie Report 16 May 2007 13:16

Thank you Jennifer I never would have found that on my own. Well at least I know he was born Canterbury but she keeps changing her mind. Thanks again

Sue C

Sue C Report 16 May 2007 13:18

Julie, I have found them by doing an address search and this time, correct image a little faint but looks like he was born Canterbury. PM me your e-mail if you would like the image. Sue

Julie

Julie Report 16 May 2007 13:43

I am getting so fed up with Ancestry. I cant get the image of the 1861 census form up to check Eliza's birthplace. I know its been transcribed as Lilly Han, Glos but no such place exists,. I wanted to see if I could decipher it, can anyone else see it??? Please. So frustrated Thanks Julie