Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

help required

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dawn

Dawn Report 13 May 2007 16:28

could some kind person please help? my great grandfather was born illegitimate in norfolk 1893. his name herbert philip drury. his mother was named eliza drury. obviously i would like to get back further with this branch of my family but dont know where to look next. he eventually came to northumberland when i dont know and married my great grandmother. would baptism records show anymore info than his birth certificate which i have. thanks ever so much in advance.

Tox

Tox Report 13 May 2007 17:13

Hi, I have found the marriage index for Herbert P Drury married to Caroline H Tweedy in 1915 Tynmouth Northumberland. I have had a look on the 1901 census but cannot find Herbert Philip Drury born 1893 Norfolk. I will search again and hopefully find him with his mother. If this marriage is the right one then I will know she is still single and could be in Northumberland between 1893-1901 regards Tox

Dawn

Dawn Report 13 May 2007 17:29

thanks for that.sorry birth 1894 smallburgh(i have his birth cert). the marriage you have found is not my great grandmother whom he married in 1919 although i will look into this as he claimed to be a batchelor on the certificate(i also have this). not sure if this was a little white lie as my gr grandmother was actually his sister in law by marriage. she was the widow of his half or step brother .also by the time of this marriage he had a father robert(deceased) which was also the name of the brothers father but not sure if one and the same man. thanks again for your help.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 13 May 2007 17:35

Illegitimate children often gave a step father's name on the marriage certificate, or made up a fictitious father for the sake of respectability in front of the in-laws. His baptism record could possibly mention his real father's name, but I wouldn't count on it. I have never found one of my missing fathers mentioned on baptism records. You can obviously go back on his mother's line, but you may not get back on his father's line at all. Kath. x