Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Kings Royal Rifles-MIddlesex/London, WWII...

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sophie

Sophie Report 12 May 2007 23:56

Hello Everyone, I have a Great Grandfather who served in the King's Royal Rifles during the Second World War called William John Pratt. He was from the Hillingdon Area in Middlesex and; I am told by my Grandfather that he was a Lance Corporal/Rifleman and that he travelled to many places to fight during the war.....Egypt, France, Belgium, Germany, etc Apparently an event occured during that time involving an attack where he was involved and it appeared in the 'Evening News' paper during the war. I know he survived the war and lived long after it until he died in the 90's; but i am stuck in knowing where i could maybe find an news clippings from that paper or maybe a medal card, etc....Can anyone assist me or help me in anywhere in knowing where to look for this info, etc..... Any help is much appreciated :) Regards All, Sophie

Sophie

Sophie Report 13 May 2007 01:29

Can anyone guide me in the right direction or give any help?

Paul Barton, Special Agent

Paul Barton, Special Agent Report 13 May 2007 09:17

Hi Sophie. The Kings Royal Rifles went through many amalgamations and became part of the present Royal Green Jackets. Royal Green Jackets Museum Peninsula Barracks, Romsey Road, Winchester, SO23 8TS Tel: 01962 828549 Fax: 01962 828500 Email: museum 'at' royalgreenjackets(.)co(.)uk www.royalgreenjackets(.)co(.)uk Curator: Major Ken Gray You may find that the incident that was reported in the Evening News was mentioned in despatches, in which case there will be a record in the regimental history. Incidentally, if it was also mentioned in the Times you may be able to look it up on the Timesonline website. The records of Officers and Other Ranks from 1920 onwards, including those of personnel still serving, are held at the Army Personnel Centre in Glasgow. Army Personnel Centre Historical Disclosures MP 400, Kentigern House 65 Brown Street Glasgow G2 8EX Tel: 0845 600 9663 Email: disc4.civsec 'at' apc.mod.uk Access to the records of serving personnel is necessarily restricted to proven next-of-kin. In identifying the officer or soldier concerned it is essential that you quote the regiment and personal numbe, so you'll need to find that first. A fee of £25 (which may be waived for widows and those seeking access to their own records) is payable to the APC and you should be aware that the search you require may take some time as there is a considerable backlog of inquiries.

Sophie

Sophie Report 13 May 2007 15:58

Ahh this sounds quite interesting; from what you said about the evening it could be possible that it may have been in the Times paper....ill check the website out at least. thanks for the advice on where to go; i will defiently look into it..... if anyone else has any ideas about what i could do; id love to hear them :) thank you all... Regards Sophie

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 13 May 2007 16:15

If the 'Evening News' was a local newspaper to the area he came from, then you should find back copies on microfilm at the nearest reference library to where he lived. If you don't live close enough to visit, the library staff will sometimes do a search for you if you have an approximate date. Kath. x