Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Died after childbirth, can't find the baby.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nessie56

Nessie56 Report 11 May 2007 14:19

Hi I have the death certificate of my grt grandmother Emily Sarah Bottomley (maiden name Pearce) born 1874 Cambridge. She married an Isaac Bottomley born Huddersfield's Yorkshire 1869. They had a son Claude Bottomley born 1907 Bedfordshire. Isaac and Emily were living in Arlesey, Bedfordshire in the 1901 census. Both my grt garandparents worked at the Three Countries Asylum. Emily died in 1916 in Biggleswade Bedford in the district of Stotfold. Emily Died 11 days after childbirth but I am unable to find any record of the child, if anyone could help I would be grateful Would there be a record of the baby if it had died? Thanks Janet

kaz

kaz Report 11 May 2007 14:28

janet, do you have a name for the child? Kaz

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 11 May 2007 14:29

If the baby drew even one independent breath, there should be a birth cert. If the child was stillborn, there is unlikely to be any record. Reg

Sun Lover

Sun Lover Report 11 May 2007 14:33

If the baby had been still born there would be no record. Often these babies would be put into someone else's coffin for burial so they didn't have to go into unconsicrated ground. So would a baby who had lived for a short time and not been baptised. However if the baby had lived even for a short time and been baptised then died you should be able to find something in parish records even if registration was omitted. Don't take all that as gospel but it's what I've found in my research over the years. Daphne

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 11 May 2007 14:37

Have you seen this birth? Name: Leslie Bottomley Year of Registration: 1912 Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar Mother's Maiden Name: Pearce DISTRICT: Biggleswade County: Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire Volume: 3b Page: 594 Reg

Nessie56

Nessie56 Report 11 May 2007 14:41

Hi Thanks for the advice, no I have no name for the child, I have just got the information from the death certificate that Emily died 11 days after child birth. I have tried to look for babies born around the time of Emily's death with the name Bottomley but have had no luck. Janet

Nessie56

Nessie56 Report 11 May 2007 14:45

Thats interesting Reggie I thought my granddad was an only child. I think I will send for the Birth certificate. Thanks for your help. Regards Janet

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 11 May 2007 14:46

There are two other births which may be relevant Name: Reginald Charles Bottomley Year of Registration: 1905 Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar DISTRICT: Biggleswade County: Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire Volume: 3b Page: 337 Name: William John Bottomley Year of Registration: 1902 Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar DISTRICT: Biggleswade County: Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire Volume: 3b Page: 333 Reg

Nessie56

Nessie56 Report 11 May 2007 14:50

Hi Daphne The baby would have been born around 1916. Date of death for Emily was Twelth of January 1916 so it's possible the baby was born in 1915? Janet

Nessie56

Nessie56 Report 11 May 2007 15:00

Hi Reggie I see I'm going to have to work extra hours to pay for all the certificates. Ha Ha. Isaac's father was called John and Emily's father was William. I only ever met my granddad once when I was younger, so it is great finding out this new information. A BIG THANKS. Janet