Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Name changed by deed poll

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Meryl

Meryl Report 11 May 2007 13:42

I am starting to bore myself and probably any one else who has seen me ask about this person. I am sorry but need to know. Florence Rainford 26/03/1931 - 16/08/1969. Born in Lancashire died in Southampton. When she died that was her name but I have a letter from Southampton Council which says she changed her name by deed poll shortly before her death. I only know her birth date from that letter. I cant find her birth, how can I find out what her real name was? Mother Eileen was unmarried when she had her.

SydneyDi

SydneyDi Report 11 May 2007 13:47

What about the old electoral rolls - she might have lived at the same address under her old name and her new name. It might be tedious, but you could work backwards from her death ? If she changed addresses it might be more difficult. What else ? council rate books (some of our NSW councils kept theirs and you can look at them), but only if she owned rateable property. But same thing, only if she lived at the same address, before and after How did Southampton council know that she changed her name - can you push them for a bit more info ? Di

Willow

Willow Report 11 May 2007 14:01

Have you got her death certificate? I have a similar case where my grandads new partner changed her name by deed poll instead of them getting married, and on her death certificate the informant gave her previous name and her maiden name. (The death is after June 1969 so the certificate holds additional information)

Meryl

Meryl Report 11 May 2007 14:12

Thanks Di, I will try what you said. The letter was from Southampton Council Children and Family Services dated from 1997, it was sent to my uncle. He was researching Florence's son William who was adopted not long after her death. It says she changed her name from 'Rainford' by deed poll before William's birth. She refused to give any info about her family when she put him into foster care when she became ill with cancer. There must have been a rift for her to go to such extremes. I feel we had alot in common as I changed myself and my son's name by deed poll for various reasons about 5 years ago before I even new she had existed. Only known about her a short time.