Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

big favour needed Ancestry 1881 Bures St mary Suff

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Julie

Julie Report 10 May 2007 12:28

I can;t get Ancestry to work today. Can anyone please go into 1881, then Suffolk St mary Bures then look up the description of the enumeration district to see if Cuckoo Hall is listed please!! It is in 1871 and 1841. Cheers Julie

Julie

Julie Report 10 May 2007 12:35

i couldn't see Cuckoo Hall It only brought up Bures Hall, Bures Hill and Mill Cottage Theres more Little Mill, Smallbridge Hall,

Julie

Julie Report 10 May 2007 12:36

Julie Theres 36 pages under district 3

Julie

Julie Report 10 May 2007 12:36

thanks for looking. I think it was renamed but don;t know what to!

jen yorkshire

jen yorkshire Report 10 May 2007 12:37

hi yes its there. bures st mary district 3 page 13, no other details on the page, there is a family called baldwin living there, rg11/1826 Robert Baldwin Age: 60 Estimated birth year: abt 1821 Relation: Head Spouse's name: Maria Gender: Male Where born: Bures St Mary, Suffolk, England Civil parish: Bures St Mary County/Island: Suffolk Country: England Street address: Cuckoo Hall Condition as to marriage: Married

Julie

Julie Report 10 May 2007 12:44

I know there is Julie. I can get into the pages but they just come up blank on me today. Very frustrating. And it must be only me!! If Cuckoo Hall was on there it would be towards the last of the pages. Its after Little Bevil Farm and Deadman's Lane.

Julie

Julie Report 10 May 2007 12:46

Thank you Jennifer!! That narrows things down abit., Really greatful for your help.

jen yorkshire

jen yorkshire Report 10 May 2007 12:54

1891 Robert Baldwin Age: 74 Estimated birth year: abt 1817 Relation: Head Spouse's name: Ann M Gender: Male Where born: Bures St Mary, Suffolk, England Civil parish: Bures St Mary Ecclesiastical parish: Bures St Mary Town: Bures St Mary County/Island: Suffolk Country: England address cuckoo hall.

Julie

Julie Report 10 May 2007 12:58

That was my next move Jennifer. I can;t get 1891 to work either. Would it be too cheeky to ask if its there in 1901 too?? If you don;t mind? I've opened a can of worms in Bures. No one knew the place existed until I find my ancestor living there in 1841 as a game keeper!! Julie

jen yorkshire

jen yorkshire Report 10 May 2007 13:00

seems they have changed the place name in 1901., cant find it under st mary bures. it must be in one of these, any idea? assington gt waldingfield sudbury st gregory melton leiston little cornard lowestoft st mathew polsted nayland or stratford st mary

Julie

Julie Report 10 May 2007 13:08

st gregory rings a bell but its 6 miles from Sudbury, either of those. Thank you Jen.

Julie

Julie Report 10 May 2007 13:18

Bures St Mary comes under Essex in the 1901

Julie

Julie Report 10 May 2007 13:23

in 1901 Bures St mary is under ESSEX. Its a village where half is Suffolk, half Essex separated by the River Stour.

Julie

Julie Report 10 May 2007 13:53

Julie On the 1891 there are 2 familys living at Cuckoo Hall 1 being the Kemp family On the 1901 their living at Angel Yard, Bures St Mary Essex

Julie

Julie Report 10 May 2007 13:55

Thanks Julie That makes sense as in 1841 there were two familes (19 people) living in it, shows it was quite a large place to just disappear. I'll make a note of the Kemp family. Can you see it in 1901??

Julie

Julie Report 10 May 2007 13:56

Have a look at the photos there is a Cuckoo Hill

Julie

Julie Report 10 May 2007 13:58

Have a look at this site http://www.bures-online*co*uk/index.htm Havn't come across Cuckoo Hall yet

Julie

Julie Report 10 May 2007 14:01

Julie I know that site really well. Its the guy who runs it (Alan Beales) who I'm working with on this. He had no idea about Cuckoo Hall either and he;s lived there 30 years!! As I said before, I've really opened a can of worms as the even the local history society had never heard of Cuckoo Hall.

jen yorkshire

jen yorkshire Report 10 May 2007 14:11

cant find cuckoo hall on 1901. been through numerous cencus areas.tried tracing tsome of them who lived there in previous cencus,ive looked through the essex district bures st mary

Julie

Julie Report 10 May 2007 14:12

Really really grateful to you Jennifer and to Julie aswell. It never appeared on any map of the area at all.It certainly doesn;t exist now so now we can narrow it down to sometime after 1891 it was either renamed or demolished!! I am very very happy with what we have found out. Much appreciated, both of you Thanks very much JULIE.