Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Birth/Marriage Lookup Please - Joseph Grindel

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rebecca

Rebecca Report 10 May 2007 10:49

I am trying to find a marriage for JOSEPH GRINDEL (b ~1850 Rochester, Kent) and Sarah (?) (b ~1861 Chatham, Kent). I have Joseph on the 1851 census with his parents Henry and Eleanor, and brother Henry living in Rochester. He then dissapperars until 1891 when he appears with son Joseph Harry, daughter Florence Ada and wife Sarah. He is also still around on the 1901 census, both times living in Godalming and working as a Drill instructor. Joseph died in 1915 in Guildford and I have his death records. I am unable to find either his birth records or marriage records, along with any census info between 1851 and 1891. I know that his father was in the forces, however have no idea where to look next. Any help would be greatly appreciated, Becky

jen yorkshire

jen yorkshire Report 10 May 2007 10:51

this him in 1861 Joseph Gundel Age: 11 Estimated birth year: abt 1850 Relation: Son Father's name: Henry Mother's name: Eleanor Gender: Male Where born: Rochester, Kent, England Civil parish: Tower Hamlet County/Island: Middlesex Country: England Eleanor Gundel 38 Ellen Gundel 7 Emma Gundel 4 Mo Henry Gundel 14 Joseph Gundel 11 Mary Gundel 10 Robt Gundel 3 Henry Sundel 50

Vera

Vera Report 10 May 2007 11:02

Hi Rebecca, Just a thought....if he was in the services...he could have been abroad during the census' also he could have married abroad. Regards Vera

Rebecca

Rebecca Report 10 May 2007 11:08

Thanks for this Jennifer, I had looked for various versions of Grindel, however I hadn't thought of Gundel. This looks about right because I have Henry living in the Tower of London as a Yeomans Warden in 1871.

Jeanette

Jeanette Report 10 May 2007 11:08

1891 age been put down wrong Joseph Grindel Age: 14 Estimated birth year: abt 1877 Relation: Head Spouse's name: Sarah Gender: Male Where born: Rochester, Kent, England Civil parish: Godalming Ecclesiastical parish: Godalming County/Island: Surrey Country: England Street address: Occupation: Condition as to marriage: Education: Employment status: View image Registration district: Guildford Sub-registration district: Godalming ED, institution, or vessel: 2 Neighbors: View others on page Household Members: Name Age Ellen Bonner 15 Florence Ada Grindel 9/12 Joseph Grindel 14 ???????? school cant make out the begining Joseph Harry Grindel 2 Sarah Grindel 50 could be Drill instructer school thats what it looks like on 1901

Rebecca

Rebecca Report 10 May 2007 11:15

Vera, I'd thought about this, wouldn't his marriage be in the overseas marriages then? I can't seem to find anything on findmypast. Is there anywhere else I could look? Also his birth is missing too, however I have found that of his older brother Henry in Banbury in 1847. Any thoughts?

Jeanette

Jeanette Report 10 May 2007 11:17

his sister mary Mary Grindel Year of Registration: 1851 Quarter of Registration: Apr-May-Jun DISTRICT: Medway (1837-1941) County: Kent Volume: 5 Page: 407 (click to see others on page)

Jeanette

Jeanette Report 10 May 2007 11:20

his son this will give maiden name of Sarah Joseph Harry Grindel Year of Registration: 1888 Quarter of Registration: Apr-May-Jun DISTRICT: Guildford County: Surrey Volume: 2a Page: 87 (click to see others on

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 10 May 2007 11:21

Heres the two childrens birth refs. Joseph Henry Grindel June 1888 Guildford 2a 87. Florence Ada Grindel Sept 1890 Giuldford 2a 93. Either certs will give you Sarah's maiden name. No marraige showing on freebmd so its an ancestry look up. Shirley. Looks like he died in 1915. Joseph Grindel b abt 1849 d1915 age 66 Oct-Nov-Dec Guildford 2a 169

jen yorkshire

jen yorkshire Report 10 May 2007 11:34

there is this marriage. a/m/j 1887 elham vol 29 p1575 i cant see it on ancestry to see if a sarah is on there.ive just looked up where elham is,,, in kent.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 10 May 2007 11:38

Heres his birth Sept 1849 Joseph Grindel Medway 5 396.. The Elham marriage is on Ancestry but cant cross check it without sarahs maiden name. Good chance thats the one tho cos Elham covered parts of kent including Dover where there was/is Military connections still

Jeanette

Jeanette Report 10 May 2007 11:43

Sarah Monds Year of Registration: 1887 Quarter of Registration: Apr-May-Jun DISTRICT: Elham County: Kent Volume: 2a Page: 1575 (click to see others on page) there is this one only another name on it Sarah Ann Morecroft

Jeanette

Jeanette Report 10 May 2007 11:49

just looked on index it is 2a 1575 for Joseph Gindel too not volume 29 just a shame 2 Sarah's on the cert Jeanette

Jeanette

Jeanette Report 10 May 2007 11:53

think this is her as gage right for 1901 census was wrong on 1891 Sarah Monds Year of Registration: 1860 Quarter of Registration: Apr-May-Jun DISTRICT: Medway (1837-1941) County: Kent Volume: 2a Page: 340 (click to see others on page)

Rebecca

Rebecca Report 10 May 2007 11:58

You are all wonderful!! It looks like Sarah Monds is the wife as her DOB ties in with that given on the census. Thankyou all so much! Becky

Jeanette

Jeanette Report 10 May 2007 11:58

1881 looked on 1871 abit confusing looked also for a sarah morecroft cant find one kent it says Gillingham not Rochester as 1891 but is very close so is Chatham as i live in Gillingham Sarah Monds Age: 20 Estimated birth year: abt 1861 Relation: Daughter Father's name: William Mother's name: Mary A. Gender: Female Where born: Gillingham, Kent, England Civil parish: Hythe St Leonard County/Island: Kent Country: England Street address: Park Road Willington Lodge Granville Lodge Education: Employment status: View image Registration district: Elham Sub-registration district: Hythe ED, institution, or vessel: 9 Neighbors: View others on page Household Members: Name Age Alfred Monds 4 Charlotte Monds 15 Elizabeth Monds 8 Maria Monds 17 Mary A. Monds 44 Sarah Monds 20 William Monds 49

Jeanette

Jeanette Report 10 May 2007 12:07

1871 Sarah Monds Age: 10 Estimated birth year: abt 1861 Relation: Daughter Father's name: ??Am Mother's name: Mary Ann Gender: Female Where born: Chatham, Kent, England Civil parish: Aldershot County/Island: Hampshire Country: England Street address: Occupation: Condition as to marriage: Disability: View image Registration district: Farnham Sub-registration district: Frimley ED, institution, or vessel: Royal Engineers and Royal Engineer Department Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 1 Household Members: Name Age ??Am Monds 38 Wm(William) Charlotte Monds 5 Maria Monds 7 Mary Ann Monds 32 Mary Ann Monds 9 Sarah Monds 10 Thomas William Monds 1

Rebecca

Rebecca Report 10 May 2007 12:08

Jeanette, This is the 1871 entry, what I find the most uncanny is that I live in Aldershot and my husband is in the Royal Engineers!! Sarah Monds Age: 10 Estimated birth year: abt 1861 Relation: Daughter Father's name: ??Am Mother's name: Mary Ann Gender: Female Where born: Chatham, Kent, England Civil parish: Aldershot County/Island: Hampshire Country: England Street address: Occupation: Condition as to marriage: Disability: View image Registration district: Farnham Sub-registration district: Frimley ED, institution, or vessel: Royal Engineers and Royal Engineer Department Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 1 Household Members: Name Age ??Am Monds 38 Charlotte Monds 5 Maria Monds 7 Mary Ann Monds 32 Mary Ann Monds 9 Sarah Monds 10 Thomas William Monds 1 Becky

Rebecca

Rebecca Report 10 May 2007 12:08

Great minds think alike!