Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Suffolk look up needed Please? STRANGE family name

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sally

Sally Report 7 May 2007 23:13

Good Evening Due to the IGI being off line at present I hoped sks could look up a birth/baptism for me? ELIZABETH STRANGE states in the 1851 of Milton by Gravesend census that she was born c 1798 in SUDBURY SUFFOLK. She was the daughter of THOMAS and MARY. She had 1 sister that I know of REBECCA b 1805 but in Gravesend Kent. Hoping you may be able to help? Many thanks Sally

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 7 May 2007 23:23

IGI is working ...but I can't see a baptism for Elizabeth. Is this her son? CHARLES STRANGE Male Event(s): Birth: Christening: 29 DEC 1819 Saint Peter And Saint Paul, Milton By Gravesend, Kent, England Gwyn -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Parents: Mother: ELIZABETH STRANGE Family

Sally

Sally Report 7 May 2007 23:38

Hi Gwynn Many thanks and yes you have the right people. I just had an email from Family Search in reply to my contact! See below. Sadly I still cannot get on there, Grrrrr! Due to the IGI being off line I played around with old names in my tree that I hadn't looked at for a couple of years and thought of the Strange family. It wasn't until I was adding info from the census I discovered Elizabeth's revelation! I knew from the City Ark records of Gravesend that they didn't originate in Kent and then find this. I am hoping someone on site has Suffolk registers, fingers crossed1 Many thanks for your help. Kindest Regards Sally ps: Dear Sally Danaher, Yes, you are correct. We are currently experiencing many problems with our servers. The engineers are working hard on it, and we hope the system will be back to normal soon. Thank you for your kind words, and for your patience. Sincerely, FamilySearch Support

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 7 May 2007 23:47

I can't find, on the 51 census, an Elizabeth living in Milton by Gravesend and born 1798, Sudbury, Suffolk.

Sally

Sally Report 7 May 2007 23:50

Hi Margaret You wont as the name was mis transcribed as SHAWGO lol! She was staying with her son as a widow. In the 1861, my mistake, she decided to change her place of birth from Gravesend to: Elizabeth Strange Age: 63 Estimated birth year: abt 1798 Relation: Head Gender: Male Where born: Sudbury, Suffolk, England Civil parish: Milton Ecclesiastical parish: Christchurch Town: Gravesend County/Island: Kent Country: England This is the line: 1. THOMAS1 STRANGE was born 1775. He married MARY 1793 in ? England. Children of THOMAS STRANGE and MARY are: 2. i. ELIZABETH2 STRANGE, b. 1798, Sudbury Suffolk England; d. 1867, Milton by Gravesend Kent England. 3. ii. REBECCA STRANGE, b. 1805, Milton by Gravesend Kent England;[Baptism located in Parish register] d. 1878, Frindsbury Kent. Generation No. 2 2. ELIZABETH STRANGE (THOMAS1) was born 1798 in Sudbury Suffolk England, and died 1867 in Milton by Gravesend Kent England. Children of ELIZABETH STRANGE are: 4.CHARLES STRANGE, b. 1819, Milton Gravesend Kent; d. 1896, England. 5. ii. GEORGE STRANGE, b. 1825, Milton Gravesend Kent; d. Kent England. 3. REBECCA2 STRANGE (THOMAS1)2,3,4 was born 1805 in Milton by Gravesend Kent England, and died 1878 in Frindsbury Kent. She married JOHN PHILIP DAY5,6 18 Jan 1831 in St Peter and St Pauls Milton by Gravesend Kent. Many thanks for your reply. Best wishes Sally

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 8 May 2007 00:05

Is the cousin, Lydia Day, aged 13, on the 51 census the daughter of Elizabeth's sister, Rebecca? 1841 census Gravesend, Kent John Day, 37, gardener Rebecca, 36 Rebecca, 8 Mary, 5 Lydia, 3 All born in county.

Joy

Joy Report 8 May 2007 00:14

If you look at this site http://www.suffolk-surnames-list(.)co.uk/ in the parish records look-ups, someone is kindly doing lookups for Sudbury.

Sally

Sally Report 8 May 2007 00:18

Hi Marion You are a star! Thanks for finding that, I have contacted two people on the site. Best wishes Sally

Joy

Joy Report 8 May 2007 00:25

You're welcome.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 8 May 2007 00:40

You probably already have this, Sally: 1841 census Gravesend, Kent Tho's Strange, 70, greengrocer Mary, 70 Eliz'th, 40 Charles, 20, greengrocer George, 15 _______ Thomas Day, 9 Thomas Rogers, 50, waterman Arin, 45 All born in county except Thomas Strange.