Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Can any one help please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sophfox

Sophfox Report 6 May 2007 20:42

I am trying to find out when my gt grandfather was born. His name was George Edward Stacey born either in Shoreditch or Poplar. He first appeared on the 1891 census aged 35 and then on the 1901 census aged 45. Married 20/03/1890 to Susan Sarah Pascoe. His father also George was by then dead and his occupation unknown. I have been unable to find any entries on any earlier census'. Any help would be very much appreciated as I can't trace my family back without this. Many thanks. Jill

Linda

Linda Report 6 May 2007 20:58

Hi Jill Found this birth on FreeBMD Births Dec 1851 (>99%) -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- STACEY George Edward Shoreditch 2 483 Any help? Linda

Linda

Linda Report 6 May 2007 21:07

What was George's occupation in 1891? Linda

Sophfox

Sophfox Report 6 May 2007 21:07

Thanks Linda I had also seen that but according to the census and his marriage cert. it would make his birth year approx 1856 so wasn't sure if it would be too early any more thoughts. Thanks Jill

Sophfox

Sophfox Report 6 May 2007 21:08

Hi Sylvia yes that is my George Edward Stacey

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 6 May 2007 21:09

Is this him on the 1891?? For reference. about George E Stacey Name: George E Stacey Age: 35 Estimated birth year: abt 1856 Relation: Head Spouse's name: Susas S Gender: Male Where born: Poplar, London, England Civil parish: West Ham Ecclesiastical parish: Holy Trinity County/Island: Essex Country: England Street address: Occupation: Condition as to marriage: Education: Employment status: View image Registration district: West Ham Sub-registration district: West Ham ED, institution, or vessel: 23 Neighbors: View others on page Household Members: Name Age George E Stacey 35 Sugar Refiner Susas S Stacey 25 Sylvia

Sophfox

Sophfox Report 6 May 2007 21:10

Hello Linda George's occupation was a sugar refiner in the 1891 census and a labourer in 1901.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 6 May 2007 21:16

Did you see this one in 1861??? about George Stacey Name: George Stacey Age: 8 Estimated birth year: abt 1853 Gender: Male Where born: Shoreditch, Middlesex, England Civil parish: South Weald County/Island: Essex Country: England Street address: Occupation: Condition as to marriage: View image Registration district: Billericay Sub-registration district: Brentwood ED, institution, or vessel: Shoreditch Industrial School Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 1 Household Members: Name Age . . . . . Ellen Stacey 8 George Stacey 8 Walter Stacey 7 Edith Stainsby 10 Emily Stainsby 7 . . . Shoredtich Industrial School Is it possible????????????????

Sophfox

Sophfox Report 6 May 2007 21:19

Hi Sylvia, no I didn't see that it could be a good possibility, I wonder what the shorditch Industrial School was. Did you see a birth entry for him in 1853 because I have been unable to find one? Thanks for looking

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 6 May 2007 21:25

Stacey births March 1850 to December 1857, Shoreditch:-- Surname First name(s) District Vol Page -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Births Jun 1850 (>99%) -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Stacey Amelia Margaret Shoreditch 2 432 Stacey Charles Alfred Shoreditch 2 433 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Births Dec 1850 (91%) -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Stacey Caroline Shoreditch 2 455 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Births Dec 1851 (>99%) -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- >>>>>STACEY George Edward Shoreditch 2 483 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Births Jun 1852 (>99%) -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Stacey Walter Dunsford Shoreditch 1c 167 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Births Sep 1852 (>99%) -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- >>>>>Stacey Ellen Shoreditch 1c 106 Stacey Jane Matilda Shoreditch 1c 139 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Births Sep 1853 (98%) -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- STACEY Robert Charles Shoreditch 1c 133 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Births Jun 1854 (99%) -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- >>>>>STACEY Walter Charles Shoreditch 1c 230 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Births Dec 1854 (>99%) -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Stacey Ebenezer Beckett Shoreditch 1c 155 Stacey Lauria Caroline Shoreditch 1c 143 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Births Mar 1855 (>99%) -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Stacey Edward Stacey Shoreditch 1c 193 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Births Jun 1855 (>99%) -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Stacey Evan Rowland Shoreditch 1c 179 That is the ONLY Gerge Edward listed. BUT it was not compulsory to register births until about 1875, so he might NOT have been registered!!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 6 May 2007 21:26

Looking at the ages of the pupils listed at the Shoreditch Induatrial School ....... I'd guess they could all be orphans, or at the very least parents were unable to take care of them!! The ages range from 3 up to 15.

Sophfox

Sophfox Report 6 May 2007 22:02

The witnesses to Georges' weddding was his wife's father and ?sister so sadly no help there. I have looked up Shoreditch industrial school and it was for orphaned or destitute children which is very sad. I could order the birth cert. for 1851 to see it his father was George. Thanks