Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Scottish birth look up please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Janet

Janet Report 6 May 2007 17:26

I am trying to find the birth of a Stafford Wilson. Born in Renfrewshire, Scotland in 1848 (so the census says). I can't find his birth and am desperate to get some info so I can order his birth certificate in order to trace his parents. Think his father was Archibald Wilson Any help, much appreciated. Thanks

Mhairi Queen of Scots

Mhairi Queen of Scots Report 6 May 2007 17:32

Scottish registration only started in 1855 so you wont be able to get a birth cert i'm afraid, only (if there is one) a christening record. Did he marry/die in Scotland? That would give you his parents names as they would be on the cert. Have you tried looking on Scotlandspeople? Mhairi

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 6 May 2007 17:33

1851 so this is why the problem with parents Name: Stafford Wilson Age: 3 Estimated birth year: abt 1848 Relationship: Nephew Gender: Male Where born: Paisley, Renfrewshire Parish Number: 573 Civil parish: Paisley Abbey County: Renfrewshire Address: No 10 Silk St ED: 11 Page: 21 (click to see others on page) Household schedule number: 84 Line: 18 Roll: CSSCT1851_125 Household Members: Name Age William Arthen 22 Agnes McAulland 30 Mary McAulland 5 Robert McAulland 21 Peter Watson 50 Stafford Wilson 3

Janet

Janet Report 6 May 2007 17:38

He did not marry in scotland but I could still order his marriage certificate I suppose. However, that would only give his fathers name wouldn't it? I have a feeling Staffords mums last name may be McAulland as Ive found him as a nephew living the the McAulland family in 1851.

Janet

Janet Report 6 May 2007 17:40

Yes, as you can see he isn't living with them and I don't think I have found the parents on the 1851 census either. On the 1861 census he is a lodger. Other Wilsons shown are Archibald and a Barbra. Not very helpful!

Mhairi Queen of Scots

Mhairi Queen of Scots Report 6 May 2007 17:45

Is this him on the 1861? Right at the bottom... Name: Stafford Wilson Age: 13 Estimated birth year: abt 1848 Relationship: Lodger Gender: Male Where born: Greenock, Renfrewshire Registration Number: 644/1 Registration district: Central District Civil parish: Glasgow St Paul County: Lanarkshire Address: 38 Trongate Occupation: Guttaperch Worker ED: 34 Page: 10 (click to see others on page) Household schedule number: 49 Line: 24 Roll: CSSCT1861_96 Household Members: Name Age Alexander Archbald 41 Jannet Archbald 38 Agnes Ballie 29 Danial Burus 28 Margret Burus 24 James Cairnes 49 Jane Cameron 46 John Crawford 35 Margret Crawford 32 Margret Crawford 7 William Crawford 2 Bernard Grun 80 Mary Grun 80 Joseph Lenand 31 Agnes Lindsay 27 Ann McDonald 25 Ann McDonald 7 Duncan McDonald 35 James McDonald 34 James McDonald 5 Hugh McFarlane 22 George McLaughtin 16 Hellen McLaughtin 24 James McLaughtin 20 Margret McLaughtin 52 Mary McLaughtin 18 Nancey McLaughtin 14 Patrick McLaughtin 50 Hellen Mennie 7 John Mennie 5 Margret Mennie 37 James Murray 1 6 Mo Mary Murray 37 William Murray 38 Daird Nisbet 30 James Nuon 30 Robert Sprott 36 Archbald Wilson 43 Barbra Wilson 43 John Wilson 35 Stafford Wilson 13 Archibald - Shoemaker - Ireland Barbara - Bath, Ayrshire John - Shoemaker - Aberdeen

Mhairi Queen of Scots

Mhairi Queen of Scots Report 6 May 2007 17:54

I think you should get the wedding cert, it may give Archibalds occupation which may be shoemaker which would try him in with the one on the 1861. You should also look out the 1851 census image for Stafford as i'm not sure the name is McAulland as i can find no trace of them in the 1861. Unless anyone else can see them? Mhairi

Janet

Janet Report 6 May 2007 18:04

There may have been a spelling error on the census. 1851 spelt it McAulland. However, ive been thinking Archibald Wilson (who i think was his father) was from Ireland so it could have been a brother or sister of his. May be a false lead!

Janet

Janet Report 6 May 2007 18:06

Blonde moment!!!! Ive just looked through the wades of certificates I have and I actually have Staffords marriage certificate. It does state his father was Archibald and he WAS a shoemaker!