Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Can`t find them

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kathlyn

Kathlyn Report 5 May 2007 17:06

I have obtained the marriage cert of Mary Jane Arthur and Charles Sinfield, they were married in 1875 in Deptford, Kent and Mary Janes` age is stated as 25. Mary Janes` father is named as JOHN ARTHUR, boot and shoe maker, and as there is no note saying he is deceased on the cert. I have been trying to find him on the 1871 census, but no luck. They lived in Deptford, his wife was MARY. S. ARTHUR and Mary.S was born in Exeter. abt. 1811 If anyone has some spare time to check for me i would be very grateful. Kathlyn

Penny

Penny Report 5 May 2007 17:22

How do you know they lived in Deptford? who Did? the bride and groom after marriage? The brides family? where was the bride born? Not sure where her mothers name has come from ,so. 1861 - have you considered these? Name: Elizabeth Arthur Age: 44 Estimated birth year: abt 1817 Relation: Wife Spouse's name: John Gender: Female Where born: Brigham, Devon, England Civil parish: Deptford St Paul Ecclesiastical parish: St Paul Town: Deptford County/Island: Kent Country: England Registration district: Greenwich Sub-registration district: St Paul Deptford ED, institution, or vessel: 39 Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 22 Household Members: Name Age Charles Arthur 17 Elizabeth Arthur 44 Elizabeth Arthur 11 Emma Arthur 3 Henry Arthur 12 John Arthur 44 shipwright John Arthur 5 Mary J Arthur 7

Kathlyn

Kathlyn Report 5 May 2007 17:32

The family info i have puts them in the Deptford area, and I have the bride, Mary J Arthur, who became a Sinfield on her marriage, stating on the 1881 census that she was born in Deptford, also the church they were married in was St. Nicholas, Deptford. Kathlyn

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 5 May 2007 17:32

Would this be Charles & Mary Jane in 1881? If so Mary J. claims to be born in Finsbury. 1881 census 1 Staunton St., St. Paul's, Deptford, Kent Charles Sinfield, head, 28, general busman foundry, born Little Brick Hill, Bucks. Mary J., wife, 30, born Finsbury, Middlesex Mary J., dau, 3, born Deptford Florence L., dau, 2, born Deptford Mary J. Arthur, moth-in-law, married, 70, born Exeter, Devon

Ajwyorks

Ajwyorks Report 5 May 2007 18:04

1871 in a lodging house with many others Name: Mary Arthur Age: 55 Estimated birth year: abt 1816 Relation: Lodger Gender: Female Where born: Caster, Devon, England Civil parish: St Paul Deptford Ecclesiastical parish: St John Town: Deptford County/Island: London Country: England Registration district: Greenwich Sub-registration district: St Paul Deptford ED, institution, or vessel: 59 Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 152 Household Members: Name Age Mary Arthur 55 widow hawker Devon, Exeter Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 749; Folio: 83; Page: 29; GSU roll: 824723.

Ajwyorks

Ajwyorks Report 5 May 2007 18:09

1851 Name: Mary Arthias Age: 11 Mo Estimated birth year: abt 1850 Relation: Daughter Father's name: John Mother's name: Mary Gender: Female Where born: Shoreditch, Middlesex, England Civil parish: Shoreditch Ecclesiastical parish: St James Moorfields County/Island: Middlesex Country: England Registration district: Shoreditch Sub-registration district: Holywell ED, institution, or vessel: 16 Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 116 Household Members: Name Age John Arthias 29 shoemaker Devon Exeter Mary Arthias 40 Mary Arthias 11 Mo Eliza Seymour 25 visitor Shoreditch Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 1533; Folio: 437; Page: 28; GSU roll: 174763.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 5 May 2007 18:09

Well done, Andrea! I was still looking and couldn't find them. Not my fault though that she lied about her age and birthplace! Margaret

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 5 May 2007 18:22

WOW. you're good, Andrea! Margaret

Ajwyorks

Ajwyorks Report 5 May 2007 18:47

Thanks Margaret. Mary being born in Exeter simplifies matters. Cannot find any sign in 1861 though.