Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

how can I tell if this is the correct parents

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lorraine

Lorraine Report 5 May 2007 15:20

Hi all I have my mums birth cert & this gives her parents names. Gwilym Davies & Bridget Sullivan. I have only found one marriage that matches both names which was in 1904 in Neath. My mum Kathleen was born Jan 1929 in Gloucester & had a twin sister Elizabeth. I can't find a death for her twin sister, I was told she died about 3 yrs old of Scarlet Fever & their mother had it too. How can I tell if this marriage is her parents as I can't get any further back without finding this out. Thanks for any advice Lorraine

Rosalind

Rosalind Report 5 May 2007 15:25

Have you obtained both certificates and does any of the information coincide ie: address, or occupations

Ajwyorks

Ajwyorks Report 5 May 2007 15:38

Do you know when your grandparents died and how old they were?

kaz

kaz Report 5 May 2007 15:51

Hi Lorraine could only find these deaths, do these distrcts ring a bell for you? Surname First name(s) Age District Vol Page -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Deaths Dec 1838 (97%) -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Davies Elizabeth Stroud 11 283 Davies Elizabeth Cheltenham 11 155

Lorraine

Lorraine Report 5 May 2007 15:55

I only have my mums birth cert which states she was born in Gloucester. If the marriage was in Neath, Wales the address won't match. I can't read fathers occupation properly - it looks like it says Casual Labourer of Travelling Business.Bridge Inn Yard,Westgate Street,Gloucester. Casual Labourer isn't much to go on. On my mums marriage cert it says William Davies deceased but can't read occupation.

kaz

kaz Report 5 May 2007 16:01

Marriage for Neath n 1908 but no groom name Surname First name(s) District Vol Page -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Marriages Sep 1908 (>99%) -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- CORCORAN Cornelius Neath 11a 1608 JENKINS John Neath 11a 1608 SULLIVAN Bridget Neath 11a 1608

Lorraine

Lorraine Report 5 May 2007 16:07

I have no idea when my grandparents died or how old they were as my mum was left at a convent when she was small. No idea of what convent was called or where it was. Have written to Archivist of the Diocese of Clifton who gave me 2 addresses to write to 1st was Parish Priest of St Peters in Gloucester who couldn't help & 2nd was Secretary of Gloucestershire Catholic History Society in Gloucester, never heard from them even though I sent SAE months ago. I have also contacted the Gloucester Family History society but no luck there either. Tried finding my mums medical records but her dr said they were probably destroyed. Don't know where to look next Thank you to everyone who has replied I appreciate your help.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 5 May 2007 16:18

where have you looked for the marriage and was she the first born? Roy

Lorraine

Lorraine Report 5 May 2007 16:24

I have no idea whether she was the 1st born & I have searched backwards from 1930 to 1901 for the marriage. Thanks for all your help everyone Lorraine

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 5 May 2007 16:39

IF you have been looking on Ancestry for there marriage, Then there are some quarters missing for those surnames around 1925/26 so you may be better asking for a lookup on findmypast Roy

Lorraine

Lorraine Report 5 May 2007 16:54

Hi Porkie/Roy Thank you for your help. I looked on Ancestry but only came across that one. I didn't know that some quarters were missing so I will take your advice & hope that someone will be kind enough to do a look up on findmypast. Thanks also to Kaz,Andrea & Rosalind

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 5 May 2007 17:31

Well looks like Elizabeth's birth was reg first Elizabeth Davies Mar qtr 1929 mmn Sullivan Gloucester 6a 427. Kathleen Davies Mar Qtr 1929 mmn Sullivan Gloucester 6a 436. Theres a few pages difference in their birth regs ie p 427 for Elizabeth and page 436 for Kathleen. Cant find a death ref for Elizabeth and have searched from 1929 - 1938 inc. Shirley

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 5 May 2007 17:35

The only qtr missing on Ancestry in the years 1925-7 for Sullivan is OND 1925........I presume you have been looking under both names? Reg

Rosalind

Rosalind Report 5 May 2007 17:37

You can find out if she was first born by obtaining both certificates. If she was a twin the times are on the birth certificate.

Lorraine

Lorraine Report 5 May 2007 17:41

Yes Reg I have been looking for both names. Thanks for your help

Lorraine

Lorraine Report 5 May 2007 18:02

Hi Rosalind the time is on the cert. 2._am. I can't read it, it is too smudged.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 5 May 2007 21:45

Loraine I gave you Elizabeths birth reg above seems she was the first reg but that doesnt mean she was firstborn!!

Lorraine

Lorraine Report 6 May 2007 00:54

Thanks for looking those up for me Shirley I appreciate it. I had Kathleen's birth reg as Vol 6a Pg 426 & Elizabeth's as Vol 6a Pg 427. Elizabeth's was on the next page to Kathleen's. Thanks also for looking for a death for Elizabeth as I thought maybe I'd missed it but it looks as though my mother may have been told by the nuns that her mother & sister died maybe to keep her quiet as they never returned for her.