Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Please can anyone help me ?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Corinne

Corinne Report 8 Nov 2006 01:04

I wonder if anyone would be so kind to help this newbie who is pulling her hair out? Jesse Jestico sometimes recorded jesteco.( father john jestico) I have seen a marriage cert for him and he married Maria Dowding( formally Parsons ) In june 1859 she was recorded a widow at the time of marriage and lived at 21 marine st Brighton her father was james parsons. my ggg grandfather jesse lived at 14 marine street at the time of the marriage and was a bricklayer ok now this is the tricky bit and the bit that has given me grey hair............ you ready? When i do any searches on jesse on the net it shows he married maria Barnes b1827 Chichester d 1896 west ham m 1859 Now there is a possibility that he married twice and that he married 2 marias but in the same year?(both 1859) There is a possibility they are the same women and that either barnes or dowding was her previous married name. but the thing that throws that cat amongst the pidgeons for me is that he died when he was about 39 according to records so im thinking he couldnt have been married twice If anyone could do a look up for me and give me any info on maria dowding i would be ever so grateful i have nothing other than the address above/ her fathers name/ date of the marriage and the fact that she was a widow many many thanks i advance for your time and patience

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 8 Nov 2006 03:18

Hi Corinne, I see someone called Vicki has posted him in her family tree. Forget what she has as it doesn't look like she has the correct names and she isn't a direct descendant. She probably copied that part of the tree from someone. You have the marriage cert, and Jesse is listed as marrying Maria Dowding on FreeBMD. She obviously has made an error and I bet she doesn't have any certs to back up this part of her tree. Rose

Peterkinz

Peterkinz Report 8 Nov 2006 03:19

If you look closely at the web sites when you google, you will see that they have done a lot of research. The births of Jesse and Maria's children are documented with facts that can only have come off the birth certificates......and presumably give the mother's name as Barnes. Of course, you can always check for yourself - but it won't get you any further. I can't find marriages for Jestico to Parsons or Barnes - and I cant find a Maria Barnes marrying a dowding or vice-versa (Nor a Parsons marrying a Dowding). I suggest you get someone to try and find Maria under one of her names in 1851 - might give a clue - she should be in her early to mid 20's....best of luck Peter

SydneyDi

SydneyDi Report 8 Nov 2006 06:24

Int he 1851 census, there is one Maria Parsons, born abt 1827 Shoreham Sussex, lving in Kemp Town Brighton as a servant. In 1861 Maria and Jesse Jestico are at 45 Essex Place, Kemp Town Brighton with sons William Dowding b 1854 and Joseph Jestico b1860. To help solve this mystery, William Dowding's birth registration is listed on Freebmd and getting his birth certificate shoud give his parents names etc. St Nicholas Brighton's baptisms up to 1864 are in the BVRI, so if you find the message offering BVRI lookups and ask there, you might get his baptism.(that is, of course, if he was baptised there).

Moggie

Moggie Report 8 Nov 2006 08:06

Hi Corinne These are the baptisms of Jesse and Maria's children unfortunately it doesn't give her maiden name. Also Jesse's baptism. Maureen JESTICO, Jesse Christening Gender: Male Christening Date: 14 Dec 1828 Recorded in: Brighton, Sussex, England Collection: St Nicholas Father: John JESTICO Mother: Elisabeth Source: FHL Film 1067108 Dates: 1826 - 1836 JESTICO, Alfred Christening Gender: Male Christening Date: 2 Nov 1862 Recorded in: Brighton, Sussex, England Father: Jessie JESTICO Mother: Maria Source: FHL Film 1067113 Dates: 1862 - 1867 JESTICO, Joseph Christening Gender: Male Christening Date: 2 Nov 1862 Recorded in: Brighton, Sussex, England Father: Jessie JESTICO Mother: Maria Source: FHL Film 1067113 Dates: 1862 - 1867 JESTICO, Emma Elizabeth Christening Gender: Female Christening Date: 5 Feb 1865 Recorded in: Brighton, Sussex, England Father: Jesse JESTICO Mother: Maria Source: FHL Film 1067113 Dates: 1862 - 1867

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 8 Nov 2006 08:11

This looks like William Dowding's birth registration:- Wm Dowding June qtr. 1854, Brighton, 2b, 198 Kath. x

Moggie

Moggie Report 8 Nov 2006 08:39

Hi Corrine A poss baptism of William Dowding. DOWDING, John William Christening Gender: Male Christening Date: 2 Jul 1854 Recorded in: Brighton, Sussex, England Collection: St Nicholas Father: Elijah DOWDING Mother: Maria Source: FHL Film 1067112 Dates: 1852 - 1857 There's also this death registered at Brighton in 1855. Edwin Elisha Dowding. Maureen

Corinne

Corinne Report 9 Nov 2006 00:42

Thank you all so very much for your replies i really appreciate your help. Anyway i have a lot of stuff to work on thanks to all the info you have all been so kind to give me so i will crack on thank you again Corinne Just one more quick question if i may? I have only just started tracing my family and have realised that i am going to have to pay to look at most of the stuff i need. what site would you suggest i join to find all my info. which ones do you all use or can i get the stuff i need on here using credits?

SydneyDi

SydneyDi Report 9 Nov 2006 03:51

Hi Corrine I find my sub to ancestry.co.uk is very useful - census information from 1841-1901 plus civil registration indexes(from1837) for free. You can order the GRO births, deaths, marriages certs with the references found in the indexes. For Free - freebmd also lists GRO index refs, with the advantage you can search names and match couples for marriages. Also the IGI is free for baptisms and marriages, not many deaths there,mostly before 1837, but some after. After that it depends where you want to search and for what - UK archives site has a lot of wills, a lot of individual websites have parish records. Diane

Corinne

Corinne Report 9 Nov 2006 10:47

Thank you so much Diane I am really going to show my newbieness now lol What does GRO stand for? And what is IGI? Many thanks Corinne

SydneyDi

SydneyDi Report 9 Nov 2006 11:44

Hi GRO = General Register Office (www(dot)gro(dot)gov(dot)uk You can order straight from their website if you have the index references. IGI= International Genealogical Index -index compiled by the Mormon (LDS) church from microfilms of parish records. Its now on line on familysearch(dot)com. It is only as good as the parish records were - its not as good as it used to be, there are a lot of 'patron submissions' people putting in their own rellies, some are very good, but others are wildly inacurrate. Taken as a guide only, it 's a good place to start looking, especially for baptisms and marriages. Wise heads say you should always go to the original source, which means the local Record Office, or the LDS church libraries where you can look at the microfilm of the registers. Freebmd www(dot)freebmd(dot)co(dot)uk - an incomplete, but gradually getting better transcription of the GRO indexes. I use this quite a bit. best of luck Diane

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 9 Nov 2006 19:24

Hi Corinne, I think Ancestry or 1837online is good. I'd avoid using the credit system on here. It doesn't buy you much. You can get a free trial of Ancestry UK for 2 weeks. It's worth doing to see what's available. Just be sure to cancel before the 2 weeks are up or they will charge your credit card for the full year. Rose

Corinne

Corinne Report 11 Nov 2006 00:57

Thank you for all your help.

Susan

Susan Report 21 Nov 2007 16:52

Corrine, Am amazed to find a link out of the blue like this but Maria Dowding is in my tree too. She is my Great Great grandmother. It is her first marriage that I am interested in as my father is descended from her son William John. How do we go from here? Susan Dowding

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 21 Nov 2007 19:01

Diane,

I'm just replying to let you know that you can type out website addresses properly now. Since Genes did the last overhaul of the site you have been able to put them on threads without using brackets etc.

Kath. x