Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Fresh Eyes please 1861 census - George Ellis

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JALimestonePlains

JALimestonePlains Report 29 Jul 2007 09:04

George Ellis born Shepley abt 1882 stome mason married to Mary Ann Found them in 1851 and 1871 -birth place is Kirburton in 1871 but lived in the same street as 1851 census. Mary was a widow in 1881 Children born before 1861 Joe Willie abt 1855 and Freddy abt 1856 Must be wrongly transcribed in 1861 Appreciate any assistance Thanks JA

Penny

Penny Report 29 Jul 2007 09:24

can you post the 1851 census please for ref is this them in 1851 ? Name: George Ellis Age: 28 Estimated Birth Year: abt 1823 Relation: Head Spouse's Name: Mary Gender: Male Where born: Shepley, Yorkshire, England Civil Parish: Almondbury County/Island: Yorkshire Country: England Registration district: Huddersfield Sub-registration district: Almondbury ED, institution, or vessel: 1l Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 2 Household Members: Name Age George Ellis 28 Mary Ellis 26

Vera

Vera Report 29 Jul 2007 09:31

Hi J A 1861 1861 England Census about George Elles Name: George Elles Age: 38 Estimated Birth Year: abt 1823 Relation: Head Spouse's Name: Mary Ann Gender: Male Where born: Shepley, Yorkshire, England Civil Parish: Almondbury Ecclesiastical parish: Armitage Bridge St Paul County/Island: Yorkshire Country: England Street address: Occupation: Condition as to marriage: View Image Registration district: Huddersfield Sub-registration district: Almondbury ED, institution, or vessel: 10 Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 3 Household Members: Name Age George Elles 38 Jane Elizabeth Elles 2 weeks Joe Willie Elles 6 Mary Ann Elles 36 You were right!!! Regards Vera

JALimestonePlains

JALimestonePlains Report 29 Jul 2007 09:35

SR that is them in 1851 Vera, feel rather foolish, tried derivations of Ellis except the one with e - that is them, Jane is 2 weeks and she was my great grandmother Thank you thank you JA

Vera

Vera Report 29 Jul 2007 09:40

Hi JA No need to feel foolish.................We have all been there.............glad to help :-) Regards Vera

JALimestonePlains

JALimestonePlains Report 29 Jul 2007 09:48

Thanks for being so gracious Vera, after so long I think I should be able to crack the nut you people are so good at it Wishing you an enjoyable day - cold and dark here - ideal for FH! With another piece in the puzzle in place off I go again to find George's mother - his father was Thomas! JA

Vera

Vera Report 29 Jul 2007 09:57

Hi JA Believe it or not here in England after a very rainy start.....the sun is trying to get through....there is blue sky appearing....hurrah. Can I help with Georges mother....feel free to ask. Can I ask where you are? Regards Vera

JALimestonePlains

JALimestonePlains Report 29 Jul 2007 11:21

Hi Vera, just got back from news and dinner - I am in Australia - capital of Thanks for offer to find George's mother. His father Thomas was born I think about 1800 in Huddersfield, also a stone mason but cannot yet find him on 1841 so he may have died or been somewher else on census night I think his wife was Ann he worked in Shepley Children Sarah, John , Joseph Rebecca and George. All this was found by one of my cousins removed when she went to the Yorkshire records office but she could not find any record of the Joseph and Ann's marriage. This is all surmise as we do not have George's birth certificate Glad your sun is shinning and if you can point me in teh right direction much apprecaited. I am off to watch Midsomer Murders so will be away a while JA

Vera

Vera Report 29 Jul 2007 12:04

Hi JA Noon here....hope you enjoyed your Midsomer Murders..........You are in Canberra. So far no luck I found a George Ellis in 1841 living with a James and Harriet Ellis.....but he is aa apprentice Hatter. So far no Thomas thats matches,( but as you said he could have died) or Ann.....of course it could have been Hannah....!!! Just to confuse the issue !!!! Regards Vera

JALimestonePlains

JALimestonePlains Report 29 Jul 2007 13:31

Thanks Vera for looking, I will keep at it as there is usually a way through! Enjoyed the Midsomer -now late so off to bed. Ann will turn up somewhere no doubt Cheers JA

Vera

Vera Report 29 Jul 2007 14:34

Hi JA Found an Ann Lofthouse and Thomas Ellis married 12 Jan 1822 Kirkby Malzeard, Yorkshire on the IGI. Wondered if you had seen that one. Regards Vera