Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Tracing my grandfathers death

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

*♫*♥*Janice*♥*♪*

*♫*♥*Janice*♥*♪* Report 27 Jul 2007 21:48

I cannot find when my grandfather, Charles William Roe died. He seems to have gone by the name of William. He was born in 1886 & lived all his live in Norwich but nobody in my family seems to know when he died. His last child was born in 1930 & his children seem to believe he died shortly after that. His grave was unmarked. Please can anyone help me,, Janice

Heather

Heather Report 27 Jul 2007 22:06

Are you looking for earlier info or just his death? I guess this is the birth reg Name: Charles William Roe Year of Registration: 1886 Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar District: Norwich County: Norfolk Volume: 4b Page: 149 1901 - do you have this? No sign of dad William Roe Age: 15 Estimated Birth Year: abt 1886 Relation: Son Mother's Name: Charlotte Gender: Male Where born: Norwich, Norfolk, England Civil Parish: Norwich Ecclesiastical parish: Timberhill St John County/Island: Norfolk Country: England Street address: Occupation: Condition as to marriage: Education: Employment status: View Image Registration district: Norwich Sub-registration district: East Wymer ED, institution, or vessel: 43 Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 82 Household Members: Name Age Dennis Bygrave 36 Charlotte Roe 45 Charlotte Roe 24 William Roe 15 Hmm, 10 years earlier and still no sign of dad but Dennis the lodger is still in situ! Name: William Roe Age: 6 Estimated Birth Year: abt 1885 Relation: Son Mother's Name: Charlotte Gender: Male Where born: Norwich, Norfolk, England Civil Parish: Norwich Ecclesiastical parish: St John Timberhill Town: Norwich County/Island: Norfolk Country: England Street address: Occupation: Condition as to marriage: Education: Employment status: View Image Registration district: Norwich Sub-registration district: Conisford ED, institution, or vessel: 6 Neighbors: View others on page Household Members: Name Age Dennis Bygrave 24 Alice Roe 8 Charlotte Roe 35 William Roe 6

jen yorkshire

jen yorkshire Report 27 Jul 2007 22:08

looked from 3rd 1/4 1930 to 1935, cant see one in the deaths .for that place or one who would match in age

*♫*♥*Janice*♥*♪*

*♫*♥*Janice*♥*♪* Report 27 Jul 2007 22:10

I have his birth certificate & I know when he married my grandmother but his death is a complete blank. We know he was wounded in the first world war & as a result was in a wheelchair buts thats about it.

Heather

Heather Report 27 Jul 2007 22:13

Trouble is memories can be so wrong. You really need to check out a lot of years past 1930. You could try find my past. You have his WW1 medal card or his pension card? Afraid its going to be a long old haul looking through all the possible years - and dont rely on him dying in Norfolk as he may have been out of the county - possibly at a hospital? at that time. Good luck!

*♫*♥*Janice*♥*♪*

*♫*♥*Janice*♥*♪* Report 27 Jul 2007 22:16

Thanks Heather, we have nothing of his at all. Mums memory is a blank, she cant remember a thing about him.

Heather

Heather Report 27 Jul 2007 22:18

Sadly, cant find him on the Pensions records for WW1 on ancestry. Have you looked for his medal card on national archives online? You could put up another message for anyone with the National Burial Index to see if he is there?

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 27 Jul 2007 23:50

You seem to know that his grave was unmarked. Does this mean that you know where the grave is? If you do, ask at the cemetery office (or the council offices for the area) as most cemeteries have burials on computer now and they should be able to tell you when he was buried, and the death will be shortly before that. I agree that people's memories play tricks, and he may have died later than people remember. Kath. x

*♫*♥*Janice*♥*♪*

*♫*♥*Janice*♥*♪* Report 28 Jul 2007 11:28

Thank you all for helping. I only know the cemertry where he was buried because mum can vaguly remember going there with her mother. When her mother died in the fifties they couldnt find her fathers grave & it has been a mistery ever since. Thanks for your help but how do I go about doing the things you think will help. Being a novice at this, I do not know the web sites etc.???????? I would be grateful if someone could tell be where to start. Thanks Janice

*♫*♥*Janice*♥*♪*

*♫*♥*Janice*♥*♪* Report 28 Jul 2007 20:17

Thanks Liz I'll give that a try. My grandfather is proving really hard to trace & my 84 year old mother really wants to know more about him. In fact she would like to know anything about him. She thinks she remembers someone when she was about 12 but even that isnt clear to her. Thanks again, Janice

Heather

Heather Report 28 Jul 2007 22:19

Which websites do you mean? The National Archives, you can just google for. In fact most things you can google for - try everything including names and places etc. its amazing what you may find. If you look at the home page here it does list a lot of the essential ones I believe. If you are going to do a lot of serious research then a sub to ancestry will be really the best thing you could get.

*♫*♥*Janice*♥*♪*

*♫*♥*Janice*♥*♪* Report 28 Jul 2007 22:23

Thanks Heather, I do belong to ancestry but I came to a dead end on there, which is why I tried GR. Never mind I will keep looking. Thanks again, Janice.