Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Missing Couple on the 1851 Census. B'ham

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Margaret

Margaret Report 30 Jul 2007 18:20

Once again I am not able to trace someone on the 1851.. WILLIAM DOWNES, b 1830, B'ham Head aged 20 ANN DOWNES, b 1833 B'ham, Wife, aged 18. And that is all the info I can offer...they are together on the 1861, living in B'ham. Their 3 children are all under 10 years. Any help will be much appreciated in tracing them. Regards, Margaret.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 30 Jul 2007 18:22

So if they are on the 1861 with children under the age of ten , then is it poss they didnt marry till after 1851. Do you have the marriage cert. Shirley

Margaret

Margaret Report 30 Jul 2007 18:33

No cert as yet....I did find a marriage in 1847 for William Downes to Ann Capewell...which means Ann would have a minor at the time of marriage...not unheard of ( But not 100% sure that Anns name was Capewell at this stage ) But Capewells are around this family in later census's !!! Margaret.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 30 Jul 2007 18:44

Margaret I noticed that marriage too. Can you post which census you found a Capewell link..... We might be able to unravel this with you..... Gwyn

Margaret

Margaret Report 30 Jul 2007 18:54

Right Folks... The daughter of William & Ann Downes...EMMA DOWNES.. Married John Capewell Dec Qtr 1886 B'ham.. Widow on the 1891. following the death of John Capewell in 1891 she married Thomas Capewell in June Qtr 1895 B'ham ( Brothers )... they are together on the 1901... It is not unusual to marry a cousin ( or 2 ! ) I really do think that Ann was a Capewell, there is no other Ann listed as marrying Wm Downes... Any thoughts ??? Margaret.

Ajwyorks

Ajwyorks Report 30 Jul 2007 19:29

I'd get the birth cert for one of the children then you will know Ann's maiden name. This is Matilda Matilda Maria Downes Year of Registration: 1859 Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar District: Birmingham (1837-1924) County: Warwickshire Volume: 6d Page: 111