Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help: Finding baptism 1779 please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

♥Deetortrainingnewfys♥

♥Deetortrainingnewfys♥ Report 30 Jul 2007 16:22

Hi, My 3 x gt grandfather John Bird according to his death record was born C1779. LDS have him born in Snetterton, Norfolk to a William Bird and Elizabeth Foreman. I have seen the original Snetterton Parish record book and the first record is that of his daughters' baptism in 1808. I have since found census records suggesting he had a son William in 1806, again Snetterton, again not in records.John married Ann Goold in 1804 Barnham, Suffolk. Can anyone suggest where I can start looking for his baptism as I have been stuck at this point for over a year.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 30 Jul 2007 16:51

Are you able to look at the parish records again? Around the time that John was born many events were recorded in a very muddled form in some parishes. I have seen some with eg. a few burials then an entry like Jane baptised dau. of John Smith...(and the date) .............. then back to burials again. It's very tedious going through every line but sometimes it's the only way. I see from the IGI that these are submitted entries...and someone has submitted alternative mother.... so it might not be the right parish...... Gwyn

Heather

Heather Report 31 Jul 2007 12:03

Guess you have tried the wonderful new, in the making, freereg site?

♥Deetortrainingnewfys♥

♥Deetortrainingnewfys♥ Report 31 Jul 2007 13:49

Gwyn Yes, the records are all mixed up for this parish and there is only one book to cover all...very small parish, covering from 1600s onwards. I have been through the book twice ...right the way through and also twice, viewing the records on microfiche. I cannot get back to the records offices yet...I live too far away and have to incorporate it with a holiday. The parents names are listed from a Diary extract and match the submitters on LDSs records. So I'm stuck!

♥Deetortrainingnewfys♥

♥Deetortrainingnewfys♥ Report 31 Jul 2007 13:56

Heather No, not tried freereg site, I haven't heard of it??

♥Deetortrainingnewfys♥

♥Deetortrainingnewfys♥ Report 31 Jul 2007 14:04

Sorry Sophie, I was just looking at your reply, hadn't realised it was the freereg site. Thank you for looking, but unfortunately, neither of these two are what I am looking for. I have his parents as William Bird & Elizabeth which were names extracted from a family Diary, but I cannot find a baptism for John anywhere. Will have to keep searching other parish records...I guess? Thanks for your input Sophie.