Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Dont Know Where To Start

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kelly

Kelly Report 31 Jul 2007 18:58

i would really like some advice please, i am trying to find out information on my grandads dad, we know nothing about him apart from he was called william arthur jeffrey and he marrid my great grandma in 1938 in york, at this time he was a waiter in the sergents mess, i have been told that aparently he died during ww2!! as he became a rear gunner but i am having trouble finding his date of death as my grandad was only a baby when william died i would be really grateful for any help and advice thankyou for your time kelly jeffrey

Jim The Ferret

Jim The Ferret Report 31 Jul 2007 19:07

One possible from Commonwealth War Graves Commission site 11 JEFFREY, WILLIAM Sergeant 564866 12/06/1940 27 Royal Air Force United Kingdom 2. A. 7. LE PARADIS WAR CEMETERY, LESTREM

Fiona

Fiona Report 31 Jul 2007 19:12

Hi Kelly, What was his wife's name? The best thing to do would be to get their marriage certificate, that would give you his age and his fathers name to trace backwards, Knowing his age will also help with working out if any death you find is possibly him. Fiona.

Kelly

Kelly Report 31 Jul 2007 19:19

she was called joan kathleen pulsford, i found the date they married and sent for the certificate, he was 28 when they married on the 3rd september 1938, thats how i found out he was a waiter in the sergents mess, my grandad had always been told his dad had been a rear gunner thankyou for your reply

Kelly

Kelly Report 31 Jul 2007 19:25

thankyou for that jim ive just had a look at the info you found for me thankyou but he was 28 in 1938 and his dad was called william edward, i really dont know where to go from here, would i be able to get his raf records if he was a waiter?

jen yorkshire

jen yorkshire Report 31 Jul 2007 20:02

is this poss for his birth, William Arthur Jeffrey 1909 Oct-Nov-Dec Castle Ward Northumberland if you think it could be him then these are the details for the cert William Arthur Jeffrey Year of Registration: 1909 Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec District: Castle Ward County: Northumberland Volume: 10b Page: 344 (click to see others

ValT

ValT Report 31 Jul 2007 20:11

Hi There is only one William Arthur Jeffrey on FreeBMD born 1909. That ties in with his age at marriage. Births Dec 1909 JEFFREY William Arthur Castle W 10b 314 ( this 314 is wrong it should be 344) Val

Kelly

Kelly Report 31 Jul 2007 20:17

thankyou very much for that i will send off for his birth certificate and see if it tallys with his dads name thankyou again kelly