Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Has anyone got any Kent burial information please?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 31 Jul 2007 14:18

Looking for burials in Milton By Gravesend - James Wright in 1869 and Hannah Wright in 1873. I'm visiting there on Thursday and wanted to try and find out where they are buried in advance if possible. I've looked at Family History Online and there is no NBI coverage on there. Family Search has nothing either. Thanks :-) Maz. XX

Julie

Julie Report 31 Jul 2007 15:22

Maz Here a number and address for the council office, maybe they have a number for the Cemetery Gravesham Borough Council Civic Centre, Windmill Street Gravesend, Kent DA12 1AU Switchboard: +44 (0)1474 33 70 00 Minicom: +44 (0)1474 33 76 17 [email protected] Home Julie xx

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 31 Jul 2007 15:25

Hi Julie, oh I'm sorry I should have said that! I tried the council yesterday - they will search, but it could take up to 2 weeks, and that's just for the municipal cemetery! oh well, it's supposed to be a nice day tomorrow, so should be very pleasant churchyard searching weather :-) Maz. XX

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 31 Jul 2007 16:00

Hi Maz Cityark (the Medway online site) has burial records sorted by church. It won't give you the location in the graveyard but may pin down where it is. If you've not used the site before it's a bit clunky as the church records open up with a list of jpegs (or something like) and you need to go into one or two and check whereabouts you are in the timeline. It's easy enough but can be a bit slow. Jill

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 31 Jul 2007 17:02

thanks Jill, I'll have a look :-) Maz. XX

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 31 Jul 2007 17:12

oh Jill !! would you believe it - how frustrating ! the burials stop in 1868 !!! never mind, it was a great idea, thanks !! Maz. XX

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 31 Jul 2007 17:23

Does that mean they're definitely buried in the municipal graveyard then and not the churchyard? But, if so, they would surely still have had a service at the church? That seems really odd. Jill

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 31 Jul 2007 17:45

no Jill sorry, I didn't explain that very well! There are only burial registers online at cityark for one parish there, and those ones are only online up to 1868! so it will be a case of searching each churchyard. I am certain that there will be a stone - this branch of my family was the only one with money lol and I have found graves for James' brother and children elsewhere, just never got round to looking for his and Hannah's before. Thanks for helping :-) Maz. XX