Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Can't find two brothers?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

♥Deetortrainingnewfys♥

♥Deetortrainingnewfys♥ Report 7 Aug 2007 21:45

Can anyone help? Reginald Bird Born 1889 and his brother Clifford Bird Born 1892 South Walsham, Norfolk to Benjamin Bird and Annie Bird. I have traced the brothers on 1901 census living at City St, Barsham Suffolk with their mother Annie (who has remarried) & their step-father Sidney Chaplin (carpenter & joiner) and their new 6mth baby Francis Chaplin. Their father Benjamin died in 1893 in South Walsham age 38 years. I have searched for marriages of the boys and deaths of the boys, but cannot find them. Am I doing something wrong on my searches, or do I need to look elsewhere? Any suggestions please?

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 7 Aug 2007 21:51

Maybe they died in the War. The Commonwealth War Graves site has records for both these names. Gwyn

webwiz

webwiz Report 7 Aug 2007 21:56

This could be Clifford Description Medal card of Bird, Clifford Corps Regiment No Rank 1/5th Norfolk Regiment 2846 Private 1/5th Norfolk Regiment 240548 Private Date 1914-1920 Catalogue reference WO 372/2

♥Deetortrainingnewfys♥

♥Deetortrainingnewfys♥ Report 7 Aug 2007 22:30

Thank you to all of you for your response. I had thought that it was a possibility that they had died during WW1 but didn't know how to go about looking. I didn't know about the Commonwealth War Graves site and have had a look at it. As you have kindly pointed out...there are several possibilities that the records are the brothers but How do I find out for certain? I do not have any other information other than the details on this site. Is there any way I can find out the parents of these poor men? Appreciate the help.

Wendy

Wendy Report 8 Aug 2007 02:09

Sadly I don't think you can be sure which if any of the men on the cwgc site is yours. Though they probably are there. Did the brothers have any siblings? Can you trace a marriage for a sister? Her marriage and children could give some info? Have you found the burial of their parents? Sometimes the headstone also commemorates children who died elsewhere?

♥Deetortrainingnewfys♥

♥Deetortrainingnewfys♥ Report 8 Aug 2007 09:15

Thanks Wendy Unfortunately, they didn't have any siblings....apart from their half brother when their mother re-married.....could try down that avenue! I have got their fathers' death.....but haven't found any reference as he died well before they were old enough to be at war. Next time I go to Norfolk, I might take a look at the local parish church incase there is something there! thanks for the tips!