Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1861 England Census lookup please.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Julie

Julie Report 6 Aug 2007 13:33

I am looking for a James R Taylor, who in 1861 should be living in Shoreditch, Hoxton Old Town. Unfortunately I do not have any add information. He would be age 21. I do realise this is little to go on, but would appreciate any assistance.

jen yorkshire

jen yorkshire Report 6 Aug 2007 13:37

poss? James Taylor Age: 26 Estimated Birth Year: abt 1835 Relation: Son Mother's Name: Ann Gender: Male Where born: Shoreditch Civil Parish: Shoreditch Ecclesiastical parish: Christchurch County/Island: Middlesex Country: England Street address: Occupation: Condition as to marriage: View Image Registration district: Shoreditch Sub-registration district: Hoxton Old Town ED, institution, or vessel: 24 Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 86 Household Members: Name Age Alice Flexton 10 Charles Flexton 35 Charles Flexton 11 Mo Jane Flexton 32 Ann Taylor 53 Ellen Taylor 15 James Taylor 26 John Taylor 21 Joseph Taylor 12

Julie

Julie Report 6 Aug 2007 13:40

Many thanks, but I think this one is too old. I do appreciate the information though. Regards Bradley (husband of Julie)

Janice

Janice Report 6 Aug 2007 13:41

How about this one? Age is in wrong column hence female! James Taylor Age: 21 Estimated birth year: abt 1840 Relation: Servant Gender: Female Where born: Shoreditch, Middlesex, England Civil parish: Shoreditch St Leonard Ecclesiastical parish: Hoxton Holy Trinity County/Island: Middlesex Country: England Registration district: Shoreditch Sub-registration district: Hoxton New Town Charles Hawkes 29 Louisa Hawkes 27 Louisa Hawkes 2 Thomas Newbury 54 Alice Smith 17 James Taylor 21

Janice

Janice Report 6 Aug 2007 13:42

Oops. Judith got there first!

Julie

Julie Report 6 Aug 2007 13:44

Judith, Janice, That seems to be the one, I assume he was a lodger as not with any family members. Does it state his occupation ? Many thanks Bradley (husband of Julie)

Julie

Julie Report 6 Aug 2007 13:48

Thanks all, that is good. I need to back track to see if I can locate on 1851 now. Regards

Janice

Janice Report 6 Aug 2007 13:56

Do you know the names of any family members? There's one James Taylor living with unmarried mother Elizabeth Taylor in Hoxton. Janice

Julie

Julie Report 6 Aug 2007 14:05

Unfortunatley I do not have any family information. Just assumed he came from that area as later that is where his married family are. It is all a bit of a in the dark as later he was 'away at sea' and the died between 1876 and 1881. Therfore I now he married a 'Rose' and I know his children, but can not trace him back. I would appreciate the information yo have on 1851 census and then I guess I will have to make a visit to records office and obtain his children birth certs to see if that gives me any additional information. many, many thanks for you help. It is appreciated.

Julie

Julie Report 6 Aug 2007 14:31

Thanks, his children are: James Robert Taylor b c1865 (named after father) Emma S Taylor b c1867 Richard A Taylor b c1870 Benjamin J Tayloe b c1875 & Mary C Taylor b 1876 (my gt grandmother) All born in Mile End/Bethnal Green His wife's name was Rose, but I have been unable to find thier marriage. She is a widow on 1881 census.

Janice

Janice Report 6 Aug 2007 14:47

Here they are in 1871: : Richard Alex Taylor Age: 10 months Estimated birth year: abt 1870 Relation: Son Mother's name: Rose Sarah Gender: Male Where born: Stepney, Middlesex, England Civil parish: Mile End Old Town Ecclesiastical parish: St Dunstan Town: Mile End Old Town Registration district: Mile End Old Town Sub-registration district: Mile End Old Town, Western Emma Sophia Taylor 11 James Robt Taylor 5 Richard Alex Taylor 10 months Rose Sarah Taylor 33 For Sarah it says seaman's wife.

Janice

Janice Report 6 Aug 2007 15:01

James Robert born 1865's birth is on FreeBMD. Think you'll need that cert to get Rose's maiden name before you can progress any further. Good luck, janice

Julie

Julie Report 6 Aug 2007 15:05

Thank you very much, your help and advice is really appreciated. Regards Bradley

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 6 Aug 2007 15:37

I thought I was on to something when I noticed that daughter Emma Sophia was aged 11 on the 1871 census. Thought I should be able to find her in 1861 but couldn't. Went to the 1871 census and her age is actually 4. A very faint cross-stroke between the 2 downstrokes makes the 4 look like 11.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 6 Aug 2007 15:43

Could this possibly be the marriage? Rose's middle name is wrong. James Edward Taylor and Rose Ann Gurd, Sep. Q, 1865, Portsea. (2b 718) Update, Oops, just noticed James middle name is wrong too!

Julie

Julie Report 6 Aug 2007 16:07

Thanks to you all, I will go to Family records office in the next couple of weeks and order the birth certificate of their youngest child (my gt grandmother) and if nothing else that should give me the maiden name of her mother - Rose. From there I guess I will try to find her marriage to James Taylor and her family. Regards Bradley

Janice

Janice Report 6 Aug 2007 16:59

Hi Bradley, The certs can be ordered online from http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/ for the same price. Janice PS When you get it, please give us an update!!