Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help finding records on a royal marines chef

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Alex1989

Alex1989 Report 4 Aug 2007 16:55

Hey! I've been told that my great grandfather was a chef for the royal marines during world war 2 but can anyone point me in the right direction in finding his records because I don't know where to start. He was called: John William Cruttenden born: Sep 21 1917 in Hoo, Kent married Margaret Amy Gordon in 1940 in Strood at the time he must have been already been in the marines because in various photo's i have of him includung his marrage photo he's in uniform. Any help would be very helpful Many Thanks Alexander (known as)

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 4 Aug 2007 17:29

His service number may be on the marriage cert, or on the birth cert(s) of child(ren) if they were born whilst he was still in the RM Reg

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 4 Aug 2007 17:46

Unfortunately the marriage certificate does not show his number, you will need to do as Reggie suggests and try the birth certificate of a child, if they had any. If you do not have the marriage certificate, you can downoad it here. http://tinyurl(.)com/38b6y9 Remove ( ) Jennifer

Alex1989

Alex1989 Report 6 Aug 2007 17:21

Thanks guys for letting me know I'll need to order my grandmother's birth cert. and also I might see if he had any medals because should they have his number on?