Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WW1 records question

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Soooz

Soooz Report 2 Aug 2007 16:18

I have been unable to find my grandfather in the British Army WWI Pension Records. Are these records on ancestry now complete? I have some information regarding his discharge in 1918. He was wounded, and I known he received a war pension. I was hoping to find out more about his war record. As I did not find him does this mean that there are no records for him? many thanks Sue

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 2 Aug 2007 16:21

I have a similar issue with an Uncle.......I know he was wounded, but there is no Pension info. I suspect that some records failed to survive to the present day. Reg

Soooz

Soooz Report 2 Aug 2007 16:27

I think there must be some records for him somewhere, as a few years before he died he wrote to the Army records centre for whatever reason and they sent him a list of dates and the regiments that he had served in! I was hoping to fill in the gaps and find out where he was posted to. Do you know if there are more names to go on the Ancestry war records site or is that it? Sue

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 2 Aug 2007 16:45

Sue I don't think they are all on there yet, although even when they are all on, there are still lots missing!

Devon Dweller

Devon Dweller Report 2 Aug 2007 17:27

They claim to be complete but my Grandfathers info is missing as well.

Rosiemay

Rosiemay Report 2 Aug 2007 19:06

I paid some one to trace my Grandfathers WW1 records some time ago but they came back with: Unfortunately I was unable to find any records for this man, and it would seem that his records were destroyed in a fire in 1940 when a German incendiary bomb fell near the warehouse where they were kept. Rosie

1949er

1949er Report 2 Aug 2007 19:45

A lot of WW1 SERVICE records were destroyed in WW2 my grandfathers for instance, they are kept at Kew. As regards to the pension records now on line via Ancestry..first time round when they just had A-B there was a Jessie Andrews on there (I thought it would be my husbands grandfather but turned out not to be) this time I can't find a Jessie Andrews, so don't know what has happened there! Wendy