Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Abraham's Marriage Reference ?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Camille

Camille Report 1 Aug 2007 17:36

Can anyone tell me please why when I have found a Ref. no. for my Ancestor's Marriage and ordered the certificate GRO have just contacted me to say the Reference cannot be found ? Thanks Lulli x

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 1 Aug 2007 17:42

Was the marriage reg'n found on the GRO index? Or on one of the county bmd's? The counties use registration details which differ from the GRO ones............ Reg

Camille

Camille Report 1 Aug 2007 17:47

Hi Reg, I found Ref. for both parties on Ancestry, Lulli

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 1 Aug 2007 18:50

Have you filled in extra details (like middle names or names of fathers) which might not fit with what's on the certificate. Are you sure you filled in the correct year (it's easy to make a mistake when typing)? Did you keep a copy of the order you placed? Kath. x

Camille

Camille Report 1 Aug 2007 19:06

Hi Kathleen , Yes I entered the correct Ref. and date of Marriage I didn't think I needed to enter details of other relations if I had the reference no. as I have only ever entered the full name of the person concerned and Ref. no. on all others I have bought. Would it be a problem because it was in 1847 ?.....Lulli x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 1 Aug 2007 19:14

No, you don't need any other information.....I just thought you might have added other information as a checking point and this didn't match up. If the GRO references are on Ancestry, I would give the GRO a ring and tell them what has happened and ask them to check again. If they DO find the certificate they should only charge you £7 in total - you shouldn't have to pay the £3 checking charge. Would you like to put the reference details on here so someone else can check the image? Kath. x

Camille

Camille Report 1 Aug 2007 19:22

When GRO replied they said the were refunding £4.00 , I sent them an Email but they have replied saying I can reorder if I have the correct index. I will do as you suggest Kath and give them a ring tomorrow, thanks for your time, Lulli x

Janice

Janice Report 1 Aug 2007 19:22

Was it a handwritten register or a typed one? Maybe it was mis-typed! If written, was it clear? Is it also on FreeBMD? Do the refs match?

Camille

Camille Report 1 Aug 2007 19:25

Hello Janice , it was typed, thanks..Lulli x KATHLEEN .... ABRAHAM PARSONS Married 1st. 1/4 1847....Reading Sorry.. should have said ref.is 6 287

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 1 Aug 2007 19:28

March qtr. 1847, Reading, VI, 287 Is this the reference you used? Kath. x

Camille

Camille Report 1 Aug 2007 19:35

Kath , Yes I also crossed referenced with the Bride just to make sure it was the right man Lulli x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 1 Aug 2007 19:37

In that case, if you get nowhere with the GRO, you should may be contact Reading. Kath. x

Camille

Camille Report 1 Aug 2007 19:40

Thanks again Kath, will do, I really would like this cert. Regards Lulli x

Ajwyorks

Ajwyorks Report 1 Aug 2007 20:14

Am I right in thinking that you put the date of marriage on your request and not just the year and quarter? If the marriage date was not what you thought then they certainly wouldn't issue a cert even if everything else was correct.

Camille

Camille Report 1 Aug 2007 20:26

Hello Andrea thanks for your reply, I entered only the year and Qtr. as I am not sure of full date. These are the only details I have entered on most of cert. I have bought. Regards Lulli x

ValT

ValT Report 1 Aug 2007 22:13

Hi I looked at Abraham's marriage on Findmypast and I think the reference should be 6 289. I checked on FreBMD and they give both Marriages Mar 1847 PARSONS Abraham Reading 6 287 Parsons Abraham Reading 6 289 * This record* was transcribed by: Name: wendy fellows Records: 846 Who did he marry? From Val

ValT

ValT Report 1 Aug 2007 22:46

Husband ABRAHAM PARSONS Pedigree Birth: Christening: Marriage: 28 MAR 1847 Saint Giles, Reading, Berkshire, England Death: Burial: Father: JAMES PARSONS Family Mother: Wife SARAH PARSONS Pedigree Birth: Christening: Marriage: 28 MAR 1847 Saint Giles, Reading, Berkshire, England Death: Burial: Father: JOHN BUNCE Marriages Sep 1839 BUNCE Sarah Reading 6 316 Parsons William Reading 6 316 Who's William? Val

Camille

Camille Report 2 Aug 2007 08:44

Hi Val , have replied to you by pm but on reading this message and in answer to your question re William ......have no idea at present , suspect another mystery to unravel !. There are several Williams in this tree. Many thanks Lulli x